Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Can we have a poll to find out how translators are doing financially?
Thread poster: Guofei_LIN
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
a fantasy Feb 10, 2023

I'd like to see what would happen to our perceived value if all the world's translators went on strike for, say, one month. What do you think would happen, or rather - what do you think would stop happening ? Would the world come to a standstill?

[Edited at 2023-02-10 20:26 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Kay Denney
Ligia Dias Costa

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
End of the profession, probably Feb 10, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
I'd like to see what would happen to our perceived value if all the world's translators went on strike for, say, one month. What do you think would happen, or rather - what do you think would stop happening ? Would the world come to a standstill?

In the short term there would be tremendous disruption and a rush by companies and agencies to lock in any translators prepared to work. A bonanza for some, I suspect, including myself.

In the long term, the same companies and agencies would look at what had happened and soberly conclude that they could no longer afford to be held to ransom by "unreliable partners" (human translators). The amount of money invested in MT and related technologies would increase by five or ten times overnight as all parties worked to reduce their dependence on fickle human translators.

I'm reminded of what happened to platinum-group metals, which used to be common in capacitor electrodes. The main sources of platinum-group metals are or were in South Africa and the former Soviet Union. Customers put up with constrained supply and high prices for years, and it was widely thought that suppliers deliberately manipulated the market to maintain this situation. Eventually, two things happened.

First, the high price of PGMs made mines in North America economically viable, so competing mines were opened in Canada and the US. They were small, but meaningful at the margin.

Second, capacitor manufacturers started to spend huge amounts of money in the late 1990s to devise solutions to the apparently intractable problem of replacing PGMs in capacitors while maintaining acceptable levels of electrical performance. These days, capacitors with base-metal electrodes (nickel etc.) are mainstream and PGM electrodes are only used in most performance-critical and price-insensitive applications. The same concerns are driving the development of PGM-free catalysts for vehicles.

I watched this unfold as a junior analyst covering the electronics sector, and it taught me a valuable lesson. Namely, if you are perceived to be an unreliable supplier by your customer, there will come a point where they will do almost anything to replace you rather than continue to be held hostage to your whims.

So I would advise you freelance translation chappies to, you know, not withhold your labour, even if it were possible. I know it's a topic that comes up every year or so among the more excitable and commercially naive members of the forum ("Let's us translators form a union and stick it to The Man! Yay!") but I think the results would not be to your taste. It is, as Tom sagely implies, a fantasy - and best kept that way.

Dan

Kevin Fulton
Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
Michele Fauble
Svitlana Leshchenko
Lieven Malaise
Jorge Payan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but Feb 11, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:

..... It is, as Tom sagely implies, a fantasy - and best kept that way.

Dan

Yes but my underlying point was that translators are undervalued. The same applies to anyone who works away quietly in the background, unnoticed **unless they make a mistake**.

If a translator's work is done well, it's completely invisible and goes unnoticed - and is therefore not appreciated.

Similar categories (of people who just make problems go away and are therefore invisible) would be:

- waiters
- garbage collectors
- postal workers
- IT systems maintenance staff
- the entire electricity generation industry
- sewage disposal workers
- your suggestions?

[Edited at 2023-02-11 10:13 GMT]

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
SandraV
Pia Myeong-Jin Lampert
Angie Garbarino
Peter van der Hoek
Ligia Dias Costa

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Determining value is hard Feb 11, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Yes but my underlying point was that translators are undervalued. The same applies to anyone who works away quietly in the background, unnoticed **unless they make a mistake**.

I would argue that we should make a distinction between underappreciated in social terms (which most translators probably are) and undervalued in economic terms (which most probably are not).

Ultimately, a particular good or task is worth only what others are prepared to pay for it, and that in turn is affected by how easy it is to produce that good or perform that service. If it's easy to find a substitute good or a replacement worker, the buyer is probably going to pay less.

Many of the jobs you mention have low barriers to entry as well, like waiting. It may be a valuable task, but you can get somebody to perform that task relatively easily. Traditionally, teenagers have literally walked in off the street to perform jobs in hospitality like waiting or bartending, whereas it takes 10-15 years to educate and train medical doctors. That's one of the reasons that the latter earn many multiples of the former [EDIT and also because they work with the most precious machines we have - the human body].

What the past decade has taught us, I suppose, is that freelancers who are not providing a service that's noticeably better than that of Google Translate, or are providing a better service than Google Translate to buyers who don't actually think the difference is important, have been replaced by Google Translate.

Dan

[Edited at 2023-02-11 19:29 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
mughwI
Michele Fauble
Thomas Chen
Svitlana Leshchenko

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not enterely comparable Feb 13, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

In the short term there would be tremendous disruption and a rush by companies and agencies to lock in any translators prepared to work. A bonanza for some, I suspect, including myself.

In the long term, the same companies and agencies would look at what had happened and soberly conclude that they could no longer afford to be held to ransom by "unreliable partners" (human translators). The amount of money invested in MT and related technologies would increase by five or ten times overnight as all parties worked to reduce their dependence on fickle human translators.

I'm reminded of what happened to platinum-group metals, which used to be common in capacitor electrodes. The main sources of platinum-group metals are or were in South Africa and the former Soviet Union. Customers put up with constrained supply and high prices for years, and it was widely thought that suppliers deliberately manipulated the market to maintain this situation. Eventually, two things happened.

First, the high price of PGMs made mines in North America economically viable, so competing mines were opened in Canada and the US. They were small, but meaningful at the margin.

Second, capacitor manufacturers started to spend huge amounts of money in the late 1990s to devise solutions to the apparently intractable problem of replacing PGMs in capacitors while maintaining acceptable levels of electrical performance. These days, capacitors with base-metal electrodes (nickel etc.) are mainstream and PGM electrodes are only used in most performance-critical and price-insensitive applications. The same concerns are driving the development of PGM-free catalysts for vehicles.

I watched this unfold as a junior analyst covering the electronics sector, and it taught me a valuable lesson. Namely, if you are perceived to be an unreliable supplier by your customer, there will come a point where they will do almost anything to replace you rather than continue to be held hostage to your whims.

So I would advise you freelance translation chappies to, you know, not withhold your labour, even if it were possible. I know it's a topic that comes up every year or so among the more excitable and commercially naive members of the forum ("Let's us translators form a union and stick it to The Man! Yay!") but I think the results would not be to your taste. It is, as Tom sagely implies, a fantasy - and best kept that way.

Dan

Wait a second - "I would advise you freelance translation chappies to, you know, not withhold your labour, even if it were possible"- Are you by any chance saying that I have to accept just any offer???

"Liberty of contracting" too good for translators? Seriously?

In a purely hypothetical situation where translators managed to form a union the results would definitely not be to agencies' taste. Except for those agencies who care about quality IF the union would of the kind that's careful to accept only qualified members. I've seen that kind of arrangement in other professions working just fine. But for translators, it looks unfeasible to me.

Yes, it's normal to prefer reliable suppliers. But so far there is no viable replacement for translators, and it won't be any for the foreseeable future, and throwing truckloads of money at it won't make much difference. Those whose output is no better than what MT can churn out have no business calling themselves "translators" anyway, so them being replaced is no loss for the profession.

As for replacing ALL translators by intelligent machines, when that happens, being unionised or not will be anyone's least worry. By then, when will AI decide humans are surplus to requirement will be a more pressing concern.

[Edited at 2023-02-13 13:04 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I did not write this post. Feb 13, 2023

This post was written for me by AI. I expect all replies to be written in the same way.

[Edited at 2023-02-13 13:55 GMT]

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No Feb 13, 2023

Daryo wrote:
Wait a second - "I would advise you freelance translation chappies to, you know, not withhold your labour, even if it were possible"- Are you by any chance saying that I have to accept just any offer???

The rejection of an unattractive offer of work by one worker for whatever reason they deem fit (deadline, rate, type of work, personal dislike of client, desire to avoid working when the moon is in Venus) is something I have urged freelancers to do many times in these forums. Here, for example, and here, and here, and here, and in many other posts.

A coordinated refusal by a substantial fraction of a workforce to provide any services until all workers irrespective of performance are awarded better conditions, which is a reasonable working definition of a strike, is something I would consider wildly impractical for translators and wildly inadvisable even if it were practical. I refer you to my previous post for my reasoning.

Regards,
Either Dan or an AI masquerading as Dan

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
We do agree then, at least partially. Feb 15, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:

Daryo wrote:

The rejection of an unattractive offer of work by one worker for whatever reason they deem fit (deadline, rate, type of work, personal dislike of client, desire to avoid working when the moon is in Venus) is something I have urged freelancers to do many times in these forums. Here, for example, and here, and here, and here, and in many other posts.

A coordinated refusal by a substantial fraction of a workforce to provide any services until all workers irrespective of performance are awarded better conditions, which is a reasonable working definition of a strike, is something I would consider wildly impractical for translators and wildly inadvisable even if it were practical. I refer you to my previous post for my reasoning.

Regards,
Either Dan or an AI masquerading as Dan

OK, the way you clarified it, it makes more sense.

OTOH IF the purely hypothetical IF ever happened to be feasible, I would surely be in favour of a coordinated action, call it strike or whatever else you want. But given the realities of the translation services market, that will stay purely hypothetical - probably for ever.

The AI checking if it can pass the Turing Test, a.k.a. Daryo

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:41
SITE STAFF
A proposed survey looking at location, earnings, income, and rates, any additions? Aug 15, 2023

Hi all,

I've drafted a survey which, while it does not take the exact approach suggested by Guofei_LIN, does attempt to take a general look at things like earnings, income, rates, and geography. I'd be interested in any quick suggestions you may have of things which are not in the survey but could be, if you have a moment to take a look.

The survey draft can be see
... See more
Hi all,

I've drafted a survey which, while it does not take the exact approach suggested by Guofei_LIN, does attempt to take a general look at things like earnings, income, rates, and geography. I'd be interested in any quick suggestions you may have of things which are not in the survey but could be, if you have a moment to take a look.

The survey draft can be seen at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Preview/?sm=7l4_2Fdss4kjvRGV2FTYtbxzOAlXyrmUNQxGCNwIglHLPA5mlovVnwRfP_2BGIAeqNsN

Thanks!
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:41
French to English
. Aug 17, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

..... It is, as Tom sagely implies, a fantasy - and best kept that way.

Dan

If a translator's work is done well, it's completely invisible and goes unnoticed - and is therefore not appreciated.

Similar categories (of people who just make problems go away and are therefore invisible) would be:

- waiters
- garbage collectors
- postal workers
- IT systems maintenance staff
- the entire electricity generation industry
- sewage disposal workers
- your suggestions?

[Edited at 2023-02-11 10:13 GMT]

Cleaners.

Also editors. When presenting my application to get a master on the strength of my professional experience, I clearly scored a point when I said that the little details like using a hard space in dates and times, and being consistent with how you write them and remembering to remove spaces before punctuation (which the French just looooooooooove) were like housework: nobody ever notices unless it hasn't been done.

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Net/gross Aug 17, 2023

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hi all,

The survey draft can be seen at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Preview/?sm=7l4_2Fdss4kjvRGV2FTYtbxzOAlXyrmUNQxGCNwIglHLPA5mlovVnwRfP_2BGIAeqNsN

Thanks!

Hi Jared, the first thing I noticed is that it just reads "income" there - I would suggest to clarify if net/gross income is meant.

Angie Garbarino
Jared Tabor

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Aug 17, 2023

Q. Can we have a poll to find out how translators are doing financially?
A. Yes - go ahead and have the poll (although I won't be participating)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
. Aug 17, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Hi Jared, the first thing I noticed is that it just reads "income" there - I would suggest to clarify if net/gross income is meant.

It must mean income/profit before tax, because anything else would weaken the data. (Income/profit being sales less expenses.)

But it would be a good idea to spell it out, as some people here do struggle with numbers and accounts.

go ahead and have the poll (although I won't be participating)

Why not contribute to an anonymous poll?

Jared Tabor
Michele Fauble

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 18, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

It must mean income/profit before tax, because anything else would weaken the data. (Income/profit being sales less expenses.)

But it would be a good idea to spell it out, as some people here do struggle with numbers and accounts.

Guilty as charged Your Honour! No way could I have figured out that it "must" mean anything at all.

What I do know is that surveys are of no value at all when the answers all come from people who happen to see it, in that some portions of the population might not be sufficiently represented. The mere fact that it's in one language only means that the native speakers of that language will be overrepresented, for example. Even if the vast majority of translators speak English well enough to answer the survey, non-native speakers will be less inclined to participate.
And I mean, if Tom isn't participating, it won't even properly reflect the Proz forum community will it! He's in a category of his own!!!

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
net/gross income Aug 18, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

The net income is your total taxable revenue minus expenses and taxes.
I would opt for the net income as this is what remains you.

Major issues are rather differences between countries (living costs etc.) and, most of all, tax systems.
In Italy for example your net income is 50-70% of your gross taxable income (you pay between 30 and 50% for taxes and social security contribution).

[Bearbeitet am 2023-08-18 10:35 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we have a poll to find out how translators are doing financially?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »