Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:25
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 17

I thought I didn't have a lot to do today, but after I did the calculations, I noticed that my working speed is much higher than when I started as a translator. I did in three hours what I did in almost eight hours when I started.

Becca Resnik
MollyRose
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
A well known phenomenon among translators Apr 17

Peter Motte wrote:

I thought I didn't have a lot to do today, but after I did the calculations, I noticed that my working speed is much higher than when I started as a translator. I did in three hours what I did in almost eight hours when I started.

Especially when you consider that I started with an electric (!) Olivetti typewriter without erasing tape, only Tippex available at the time, and carbon paper between the original and the copy. Ancient times!

Christel Zipfel
Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
philgoddard
Renée van Bijsterveld

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
-------- Apr 17

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Especially when you consider that I started with an electric (!) Olivetti typewriter without erasing tape, only Tippex available at the time, and carbon paper between the original and the copy. Ancient times!

But the point is: I started with a pc. The speed gain is not because of the computer, or at least only partially.

Dan Lucas

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Point is Apr 17

Peter Motte wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

But the point is: I started with a pc. The speed gain is not because of the computer, or at least only partially.

You gained about 60% of time, we typewriter-cum-Tippex-users gained about 95% of time.

[Edited at 2024-04-17 14:19 GMT]

Christel Zipfel

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
----------- Apr 17

It's not only the automation. I became faster myself.
E.g.: I don't use speech recognition. I have it, but I rarely use it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Only natural Apr 17

Peter Motte wrote:

It's not only the automation. I became faster myself.
E.g.: I don't use speech recognition. I have it, but I rarely use it.

It would be strange if we didn’t get quicker with experience.

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees
Rita Translator
Peter Motte

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Apr 17

I'm so much quicker than when I started!

I no longer spend hours agonising over tough expressions. I've mostly already had to translate them before. Even if I need to translate an expression I've never heard of (a vanishingly rare occurence nowadays), I can just pop it in Linguee to see if there's anything usable. There's so much more information, in increasingly palatable form, on Internet. Of course I can and do still go down rabbit holes while seeking information, but I'll usual
... See more
I'm so much quicker than when I started!

I no longer spend hours agonising over tough expressions. I've mostly already had to translate them before. Even if I need to translate an expression I've never heard of (a vanishingly rare occurence nowadays), I can just pop it in Linguee to see if there's anything usable. There's so much more information, in increasingly palatable form, on Internet. Of course I can and do still go down rabbit holes while seeking information, but I'll usually just leave a tab open to read later, and open a new tab to search for the next thing, so I don't waste time when the deadline is looming.

I do take more time on texts for museums and artists, because the language is always very convoluted. I like to take my time polishing the text until it is as beautiful as in French. But I do that for my own pleasure, I don't care if I'm not as productive, because I enjoy it so very much.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Apr 18

Just like Wolfgang I started translating with an Olivetti typewriter and Tippex. By then, I had to make a first version by hand followed by a second clean version before typing it. Let’s say that usually a plain one-page translation would take me at least one hour. Today, it took me less than 10 minutes to translate and proofread effortlessly a plain one-page text.

Wolfgang Schoene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sped up

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »