Is there any way of backing up Translation Office 3000 manually?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:14
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 30, 2007

My external hard disk does not work any more. It only worked under Windows XP, but does not work under Windows Vista. For this reason I have to back up everything manually, but finding a way can be somewhat awkward.

In the case of Translation Office 3000, there is a theoretical possibility of choosing from the menu "Settings" the item "Database" and then selecting "backup". A "backup" appears to run. However, if, after "backing up" the database, as well as being fully aware of the
... See more
My external hard disk does not work any more. It only worked under Windows XP, but does not work under Windows Vista. For this reason I have to back up everything manually, but finding a way can be somewhat awkward.

In the case of Translation Office 3000, there is a theoretical possibility of choosing from the menu "Settings" the item "Database" and then selecting "backup". A "backup" appears to run. However, if, after "backing up" the database, as well as being fully aware of the location to which I am backing it up, I then look for the backup in that location, it simply does not exist! I have tried it many times, trying different locations.

As this method of backup does not work either, and I wish to back up the software, because I am right now already typing in the data for the last six weeks all over again, after losing it once, I would like to know if anyone knows if there is any existing way of backing up this particular piece of software at all? Surely there must be at least one manual possibility? Or is there none?

Astrid
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TO3000.fdb Jun 30, 2007

I believe if you go into Program Files and Translation Office, in one of the folders you'll find TO3000.fdb. Just make a copy of that, and should you need it to restore it, place it back in the same folder, overwriting the TO3000.fdb file already in there.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Timothy Jul 1, 2007

I lost all my data in Translation Office 3000 for the past five weeks, but I did not want to type it all back in again (obtained from the paper files) until I could find a way to make a back-up of it.

However, every time I chose "Settings", "database" and "backup", keeping the path in the Translation Office 3000 program file, when I looked for the backup file I had just theoretically created it was not there.

However, now I have a special folder elsewhere, under "Docume
... See more
I lost all my data in Translation Office 3000 for the past five weeks, but I did not want to type it all back in again (obtained from the paper files) until I could find a way to make a back-up of it.

However, every time I chose "Settings", "database" and "backup", keeping the path in the Translation Office 3000 program file, when I looked for the backup file I had just theoretically created it was not there.

However, now I have a special folder elsewhere, under "Documents", and the back-ups that I make to that location do appear there, so problem solved.

Astrid
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way of backing up Translation Office 3000 manually?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »