Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:51
English to German
+ ...
Jul 6, 2004

I'm trying to export German text from FrameMaker v.7.0 into a format compatible with Word.

With the Save As... option, RTF's have no ä, ö, or ü, but funny looking characters instead.

Does anyone have a tip how I should export to RTF while maintaining the correct characters?

Thanks for any tips.

-M-

CML
CML  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
French to English
+ ...
Several suggestions Jul 6, 2004

You can try a few things:

-Make sure the language in the FrameMaker file is set to German and that your version of MsWord is set up for German as well.

-You can also save the file as a .mif and then try to save as a .rtf.

-You can also save the FM doc as a pdf and then export the text from the pdf.

I'm assuming you don't have Trados, because that would probably be the easiest route using S-tagger for FrameMaker.

Good luck!
Ch
... See more
You can try a few things:

-Make sure the language in the FrameMaker file is set to German and that your version of MsWord is set up for German as well.

-You can also save the file as a .mif and then try to save as a .rtf.

-You can also save the FM doc as a pdf and then export the text from the pdf.

I'm assuming you don't have Trados, because that would probably be the easiest route using S-tagger for FrameMaker.

Good luck!
Christina
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:51
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ugh! agree Jul 6, 2004

I had to translate a 700 page manual written in Framemaker a few month ago. Not one of the Framemaker export filters produced an acceptable result.
If you have to translate your Framemaker text, use the MIF file format and translate it with Trados. This works.
If you just want to get your text into Word - I would suggest a rather odd method. Produce a PDF file from Framemaker and use either Finereader or Scansofts PDF Converter, both work. Trying to get Framemaker via RTF export in
... See more
I had to translate a 700 page manual written in Framemaker a few month ago. Not one of the Framemaker export filters produced an acceptable result.
If you have to translate your Framemaker text, use the MIF file format and translate it with Trados. This works.
If you just want to get your text into Word - I would suggest a rather odd method. Produce a PDF file from Framemaker and use either Finereader or Scansofts PDF Converter, both work. Trying to get Framemaker via RTF export into a useable Word format resulted only in endless hours of frustration.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FrameMaker to RTF: ugh!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »