Thread poster: Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 7, 2004

After creating a PDF 6.0 file from a large Arabic Word 2000 file, I lost the original word file. Using the normal methods to retrieve the word file, I got a wrong reading text. This happened when I tried to save the PDF file as Word or when I copied and pasted the text.

Is there a special technique or a conversion software to retrieve the word file?

I will appreciate any help.

Sami

Doaa El Hefnawy
Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:23
English to Arabic
+ ...
pdf2word May 7, 2004

I do not know how well this software will do on an arabic file but it did quite well for an english file. It is called pdf2word and you can download a trial version from this website http://www.globalpdf.com/pdf2word/index.html
Of course, this trial version is limited to only 5 pages, but you can just give it a try and if it does work for you, go ahead and purchase the software. I hope
... See more
I do not know how well this software will do on an arabic file but it did quite well for an english file. It is called pdf2word and you can download a trial version from this website http://www.globalpdf.com/pdf2word/index.html
Of course, this trial version is limited to only 5 pages, but you can just give it a try and if it does work for you, go ahead and purchase the software. I hope this helps and best of luck to you>
Collapse

Sami Khamou
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your hint May 7, 2004

Dear Doaa,

Thank you for your hint. I downloaded the software. It did not work. I contacted technical support and supplied them with a copy of the PDF. After testing the file they said the software does not work with Arabic PDF files.

Thank you again. The software would be useful for English PDF files.

Kind regards

Sami

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 23:23
English to Chinese
fonts outlined? May 7, 2004

If you created outline it's imporssible to save it as a machine readable file. Maybe you need use Omnipage to convert it into .doc format. Good luck.

Doaa El Hefnawy
Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:23
English to Arabic
+ ...
arabic pdf converter May 7, 2004

Dear Sami,
I did a little research and I found this pdf converter that supports arabic language (it is right there in the language supported) and you can download it at this site http://www.pcshareware.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=15327&ttitle=ABC_Amber_PDF_Converter
If this l
... See more
Dear Sami,
I did a little research and I found this pdf converter that supports arabic language (it is right there in the language supported) and you can download it at this site http://www.pcshareware.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=15327&ttitle=ABC_Amber_PDF_Converter
If this link does not work, just search for ABC amber pdf converter. Good luck this time.
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
You need Arabic-enabled OCR software May 8, 2004

The best OCR I know of is Omnipage Pro 14, but as far as I know, it does not handle Arabic.

The Arabic OCR that has gained the most publicity is Sakhr's "Automatic Reader," also called "Al-Qari' Al-Ali." I have not tried it, and I am not inclined to try it because of my previous experience with Sakhr's products and Sakhr's ethics.

You can purchase the software from Aramed
... See more
The best OCR I know of is Omnipage Pro 14, but as far as I know, it does not handle Arabic.

The Arabic OCR that has gained the most publicity is Sakhr's "Automatic Reader," also called "Al-Qari' Al-Ali." I have not tried it, and I am not inclined to try it because of my previous experience with Sakhr's products and Sakhr's ethics.

You can purchase the software from Aramedia.com:

http://www.aramedia.com/ocr.htm

[Edited at 2004-05-09 06:20]
Collapse

Sami Khamou
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your kind help May 10, 2004

Dear Doaa,
I downloaded the trial version of ABC Amber converter. It did not work. All I got was punctuation marks. I contacted technical support and provided them with a copy of my PDF file and asked them to test the file and provide me with one page of word file. I have not received their reply. There's still some hope.

Dear Fuad,
Thank you for your suggestion. The (discounted) price tag of $4,000 is prohibitive, especially we don't know how well the program will work
... See more
Dear Doaa,
I downloaded the trial version of ABC Amber converter. It did not work. All I got was punctuation marks. I contacted technical support and provided them with a copy of my PDF file and asked them to test the file and provide me with one page of word file. I have not received their reply. There's still some hope.

Dear Fuad,
Thank you for your suggestion. The (discounted) price tag of $4,000 is prohibitive, especially we don't know how well the program will work. (what do they think we are? by-pass surgeons?).

Dear Edmund,
Thanks for your suggestion. The original file was word 2000 and it was not outlined. As for Omnipage see my comment to Fuad.

This tread is not closed yet. I will keep you posted.
Collapse

Sami Khamou
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ABC Amber Converter does not like Arabic PDFs Jun 1, 2004

Dear Colleagues,

After spending many hours on ABC Amber Converter to convert one Arabic PDF file back into words, and after many requests from ABC's technical support, I received the following answer:

"Our ABC Amber PDF Converter doesn't like Arabic PDFs"

I am now back to square one, never giving up!

Thanks to all who tried to help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Arabic PDF file back to Word 2000

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »