Thread poster: Irene N
Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 05:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2004

3 weeks ago I went through recovering my system from scratch and right now I'm far away from my full version Adobe Acrobat CD. An urgent job made me to download AR 6.0 (free:). All I need to do is print the file out but I can not find the feature for printing in Handouts format - 2 slides on 1 page. I'm a fairly experienced user and searched under all menu and submenu items possible. Do I miss something obvious or is it because I do not have a full version?

I run Windows XP.
... See more
3 weeks ago I went through recovering my system from scratch and right now I'm far away from my full version Adobe Acrobat CD. An urgent job made me to download AR 6.0 (free:). All I need to do is print the file out but I can not find the feature for printing in Handouts format - 2 slides on 1 page. I'm a fairly experienced user and searched under all menu and submenu items possible. Do I miss something obvious or is it because I do not have a full version?

I run Windows XP.

Thank you very much.

[Edited at 2004-04-08 15:34]
Collapse

Christian Flury (X)
Christian Flury (X)
Austria
Local time: 12:20
Latin to German
+ ...
Print - Printer properties - Functions - several slides per page Apr 8, 2004

Hi Irene,

if I get you right, all you want to do is printing a pdf-file in handout format? I cannot tell you exactly how the different fields and functions are called in English, because I am using the German version of Acrobat and Windows XP.

Anyway, I think the basic point is that your problem has nothing to do with your version of Acrobat Reader as you do not have to choose the handout format option in Acrobat Reader, but in the (Windows XP) print window. All you hav
... See more
Hi Irene,

if I get you right, all you want to do is printing a pdf-file in handout format? I cannot tell you exactly how the different fields and functions are called in English, because I am using the German version of Acrobat and Windows XP.

Anyway, I think the basic point is that your problem has nothing to do with your version of Acrobat Reader as you do not have to choose the handout format option in Acrobat Reader, but in the (Windows XP) print window. All you have to do is use the print command, click on the "properties"-field in the print window and choose "functions" - "more than one slide per page" (as I pointed out before, I am not sure about the exact English terms).

Hope that helps

Christian

IreneN wrote:

I run Windows XP.

Thank you very much.

[Edited at 2004-04-08 15:34]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is exactly what drives me up the wall! Apr 8, 2004

Thank you. Christian. I suspect it is in the Office rather than the system. This feature is right there in printing settings/properties for Word and PowerPoint. Before replying I opened AR again and went to Print Setup (then Properties) and Print - these are 2 different items in the dropdown menu under File. It is not there. When I had a full version this option would show automatically in the process of file preparation for printing after I requested Print from the top menu in Acrobat with the... See more
Thank you. Christian. I suspect it is in the Office rather than the system. This feature is right there in printing settings/properties for Word and PowerPoint. Before replying I opened AR again and went to Print Setup (then Properties) and Print - these are 2 different items in the dropdown menu under File. It is not there. When I had a full version this option would show automatically in the process of file preparation for printing after I requested Print from the top menu in Acrobat with the file open.

I guess it is true that free cheese can only be found in the mousetrap:-)
Collapse

Christian Flury (X)
Christian Flury (X)
Austria
Latin to German
+ ...
Strange Apr 8, 2004

IreneN wrote:

When I had a full version this option would show automatically in the process of file preparation for printing after I requested Print from the top menu in Acrobat with the file open.

I'd been working with the free version of AR 6 for quite a long time, and the very same option would show up in the course of file preparation as well. Sorry, I don't have a clue... Have you already tried using the shortcut Ctrl.+P? (However, to be frank, I doubt that this might change anything)

The strange thing is:
1.) it cannot have anything to do with your version of Acrobat Reader as I am using exactly the same version
2.) it cannot have anything to do with the Windows XP printer setup as everything works fine from Word

So what the *** could have caused that problem? I hope you will find out...

Have a nice evening / day (depending on your time zone)

Christian

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question closed, thank you. Apr 8, 2004

Unfortunately for me, I got a confirmation that this is in fact an option that depends on the software. As I was told, this option was not included in AR Version 5.0 for sure. Apparently, no improvement in 6.0 has been made in this regard.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good question! Apr 9, 2004

Christian Flury wrote:

So what the *** could have caused that problem? I hope you will find out...

Christian

I'm going to stage an experiment. Right now I'm in Russia and the SW here is so cheap, 3-4 bucks a CD on average, that I shall simply go and buy one, install and report on the results:). Most importantly, I have an OS licensed by The One and Only, so hopefully I will not get arrested before I come back to the U.S. and reinstall the original. BTW, my AR was downloaded from the net, so no black market issues could be the cause of the problem as well.

Thanks again.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
printer driver feature, not Acrobat Apr 17, 2004

The ability to print 2 or more pages on the same sheet comes from the printer driver used, not from Acrobat iteslf.
Other applications (such as MS Word) have this feature within their own Print dialog box, but not Acrobat.
In my system (Win XP, Acrobat 6, Canon i560) I do the following:
from Acrobat, File > Print.
In the Print dialog box, I click on the Properties button next to the printer's name, at the top of the dialog box.
This gets me to the printer driver dia
... See more
The ability to print 2 or more pages on the same sheet comes from the printer driver used, not from Acrobat iteslf.
Other applications (such as MS Word) have this feature within their own Print dialog box, but not Acrobat.
In my system (Win XP, Acrobat 6, Canon i560) I do the following:
from Acrobat, File > Print.
In the Print dialog box, I click on the Properties button next to the printer's name, at the top of the dialog box.
This gets me to the printer driver dialog box.
I then go to the Page Setup tab (the exact name of this tab and all following options depend on your printer driver, and may or may not be available depending on your printer driver) and choose the layout option from the Printing Type drop-down menu. In my case it's the Print Page Layout option, and then I click on the Specify button, where I can choose how many pages per sheet I need printing, and in which order.
But all of this is from the printer driver, so different systems with different printers installed would present different options.

HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printing from Adobe Reader 6.0

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »