Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 04:27
Lid 2014
Japans naar Engels
Provided you haven't sent any money you'll be okay May 14

Katarzyna Badura wrote:
What shall I do now? I am really freaking out that this person might use my address agains me and I don't know waht to do...

The scam is not that you have given her your address, which is probably available from a number of different databases. The scam, as mentioned in the message right above yours, is that the check will be too large and she will ask you to pay back the "excess". If you do send this money, the check itself will bounce in a couple of days and the deposit will be reversed as if it had never existed. Any money you were to send her it is real, however, and you would never get it back. It's a very old scam that predates the internet. Throw away the check, and ignore all communication going forward. Provided you haven't transferred any money, you will be fine.

Dan

Kevin Fulton

Katarzyna Badura
Katarzyna Badura
Duitsland
Local time: 05:27
Pools naar Engels
+ ...
thank you Dan! May 15

I haven't sent them anything - luckily, I found this chat soon enough before making the biggest mistake of my life:) Next time I will be more careful:)

Jeff Lazar
Jeff Lazar  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 20:27
Lid 2023
Koreaans naar Engels
+ ...
Same scam - new name: Jamila Tonia - [email protected] May 21

The document to translate began with the text: "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH, PHASE 1, What do organizations use conflict management for? For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization..."

The email was as follows:

"Hello, how are you doing ? I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. It will be nice working with you. I hope you will treat me well just like other as I am deaf of
... See more
The document to translate began with the text: "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH, PHASE 1, What do organizations use conflict management for? For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization..."

The email was as follows:

"Hello, how are you doing ? I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. It will be nice working with you. I hope you will treat me well just like other as I am deaf of hearing..I will be glad if you can handle project very well However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? 44 pages and 11646 words in total let me know how much you will charge ??The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 30th/May/2024. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier cheque or bank certified cheque for the payment. You will be getting the payment before you start the project .Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon."
Collapse

María J Fernández
María J Fernández
Argentinië
Local time: 00:27
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Same document from a Dennis Shore but he is willing to pay by transfer May 27

Hi, guys. This Dennis shore has sent me the same document a few weeks ago. I was excited to have my first direct client, finally! I sent him my CV (so he has all my personal information, I'm from Argentina) and the bank account in USA where I receive payments. He was willing to make the transfer (USD 600), but when I googled his phone number I found this and I told him that the project was cancelled. No response at all during 7 days, till now that I've just received this email. What should I do?... See more
Hi, guys. This Dennis shore has sent me the same document a few weeks ago. I was excited to have my first direct client, finally! I sent him my CV (so he has all my personal information, I'm from Argentina) and the bank account in USA where I receive payments. He was willing to make the transfer (USD 600), but when I googled his phone number I found this and I told him that the project was cancelled. No response at all during 7 days, till now that I've just received this email. What should I do? If he really makes the transfer, where is the scam? I don't understand what he might thinking about:

"I am so sorry for the payment delay, you have nothing to be afraid of, there is death in the family of my sponsor so I have little delay. I hope the project is in progress now? But I am happy to inform you that your payment has been initiated to you by my sponsor. Also, we discussed considering you for the next phase of this project, but I need to be sure the first phase will be well translated. The additional fee for the next phase of the project was added. We've calculated the next phase with your rate, so the first phase and the next document will cost us $3,776.10. So a payment of $3,776.10 has been initiated by Botetourt County, Virginia into a bank account ending with XXXXX 1199.

The Remitter Name and Address is below:

Botetourt County, Virginia
P.O. Box 100 Fincastle, VA 24090
Remitter Bank is First Bank and the purpose is REFUND
Kindly watch out for it. We don't have much time now.

Amount : $3,776.10

Kindly confirm with me as soon as you receive the payment. I hope to hear from you soon".
Collapse

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »