4leavedClover
4leavedClover  Identity Verified
Bulharsko
Local time: 15:30
angličtina -> bulharština
+ ...
May 17, 2011

I have just received a strange invitation consisting of
"I work for ***, and I am contacting you today because I had received your application, as a result of my recent announcement on the ProZ website."
and asking for personal information:
"1) Your CV, including a description of your experience of translation in these fields;
2) A copy of your relevant diplomas and certificates (scans);
3) A letter confirming that you are willing to participate with us to th
... See more
I have just received a strange invitation consisting of
"I work for ***, and I am contacting you today because I had received your application, as a result of my recent announcement on the ProZ website."
and asking for personal information:
"1) Your CV, including a description of your experience of translation in these fields;
2) A copy of your relevant diplomas and certificates (scans);
3) A letter confirming that you are willing to participate with us to this project (we will provide a model);
4) Letters of reference (scans) from past employers/clients which can prove that you have one of the 2 profiles explained above. To be valid, these letters must clearly specify:
A) your name;
B) the volume of work done : it can be either a number of pages if you worked as a freelance translator either a number of years if you worked as a full-time in house translator (in this last case, one year of translation is the equal of 1000 pages for the European union);
C) the language combination concerned (in this case, it has to be EN-BG);
D) the field of translation (in this case, it has to be medicine, veterinary medicine, pharmacology, biology and/or chemistry if you correspond to the Profile 2);
E) the name and the company of the person you worked with for the translation."
The strange thing is that I have NOT applied. Moreover, there has NOT been such an announcement on the proz.com. Another strange thing is that the email was sent to a mailbox that is NOT listed in my proz.com profile.
I think the three NOTs above clearly state that this is a scam.
Collapse

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
Velká Británie
Local time: 13:30
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Really? May 17, 2011

4leavedClover wrote:

one year of translation is the equal of 1000 pages for the European union);

Is this serious? In seven months as an in-house I translated a lot more than 1000 pages!!

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
EU-tender procedure? May 17, 2011

This looks like the procedure of some EU-tender to me however I have found no EU-tender that matches this field in TED (tenders electronic daily) EU-tender database. It quite common to look for translators before actually getting the contract since the EU-institutions sometimes requires information on the translators who will be translating in order to juge quality of the agency who will be translatin etc. However it is a bit strange that they contacted you directly stating that you had applied.... See more
This looks like the procedure of some EU-tender to me however I have found no EU-tender that matches this field in TED (tenders electronic daily) EU-tender database. It quite common to look for translators before actually getting the contract since the EU-institutions sometimes requires information on the translators who will be translating in order to juge quality of the agency who will be translatin etc. However it is a bit strange that they contacted you directly stating that you had applied. Perhaps they just search for translatos matching the profile?

But there is/was such an add on proz.com at least in for Swedish but it stated that they are looking for all EU-langagues
Collapse

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Švédsko
Local time: 14:30
Člen (2009)
švédština -> angličtina
+ ...
Sounds dodgy... May 17, 2011

Does it have a proper email address?

It certainly sounds scam-like to me, presumably someone trying to steal your identity or at best an unscrupulous agency wanting to use your details to quote for - probably - EU translation projects.

I would certainly just file this in the bin!

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
Lookes like an EU-tender procedure May 18, 2011

It's rather common for EU-instituions to demand references or such of the translators that a specific company would use for a certain tender in order to compare the quality of the applicants.

This is a link to the specifcations of what the applying companies have to submit for what I believe to be the tender in question here.
... See more
It's rather common for EU-instituions to demand references or such of the translators that a specific company would use for a certain tender in order to compare the quality of the applicants.

This is a link to the specifcations of what the applying companies have to submit for what I believe to be the tender in question here.

http://cdt.europa.eu/CDT%20Call%20Documents/MED11/Specifications_MED11.pdf
Collapse

4leavedClover
4leavedClover  Identity Verified
Bulharsko
angličtina -> bulharština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
EU-tender procedure May 19, 2011

Yes, it looks like one. There have been some ads on proz.com but the company that has sent me the invitation has not posted such ads. I do not know if I can mention its name because it is in the Blue board.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam misusing proz.com

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »