expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:39
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Problem... Sep 10, 2021

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:

I see no problem in the fact that the winner of Portuguese is from Brazil.

The winner from English to Spanish is from...SPAIN and no one from Latin America or elsewhere is complaining!
https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/pair/4238

The same can be said of French. The winner is from...FRANCE and no one from Canada or elsewhere is complaining!
https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/pair/4261

There should be just one category, not two separate categories. That is the problem with Portuguese!

Otherwise, let's then have 2 or more categories for Spanish (Spain, Latin America, USA, Africa), French (France, Canada, Belgium, Africa), English (UK, USA, Australia, etc...), and any other eligible language. That would indeed make little sense!

In conclusion, let's make it simple and congratulate the Brazilian winner.

[Edited at 2021-09-10 00:11 GMT]

My post may get removed, but I will try to respond with an example.

If a Brazilian Portuguese tells you: "Estou parado no acostamento porque a minha perua não tem estepe".

That means in European Portuguese: "Estou parado na berma porque a minha carrinha não tem pneu sobresselente". *

Do you see now where the problem lies?

The differences between European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese cannot be compared to the Spanish, English, French and even Arabic variants.

I could give you more examples, for example with grammar, but I would need lots of time to do that. Also, I know some Brazilian who need subtitles when they are watching a movie in European Portuguese.

I don't know why Portuguese has received a different treatment either, but if the contest is made available for both variants, there must a reason...

Yes, let's congratulate the PT-BR translators...

* "I am standing on the side of the road because my truck has no spare tire."

[Edited at 2021-09-10 14:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-10 17:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-10 18:00 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
P.L.F. Persio
Rui Domingues
ahartje
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Julieta Llamazares
Julieta Llamazares  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update on English to Portuguese (EU) Sep 14, 2021

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that there is a new winner in English to Portuguese (EU). The previous winner was disqualified as the entry was submitted in the wrong language pair, and the next entry with more voting points was declared as the winner.

I have edited my original post accordingly so as to display the name of the correct winner in this language pair.

Thank you all for your comments, and for bringing this to my attention.

Have a
... See more
Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that there is a new winner in English to Portuguese (EU). The previous winner was disqualified as the entry was submitted in the wrong language pair, and the next entry with more voting points was declared as the winner.

I have edited my original post accordingly so as to display the name of the correct winner in this language pair.

Thank you all for your comments, and for bringing this to my attention.

Have a nice day,
Julieta
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
expressisverbis
Rui Domingues
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's meet the winners of "Game on"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »