Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you socialize as a freelancer who works alone at home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:04
Italian to English
+ ...
I don't Jul 1, 2017

Like Julian, I have a lot of interesting conversations with myself ...

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:04
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
In "Gatherings at home" Jul 1, 2017

Gudrun Maydorn wrote:

Why is "family, friends and neighbours" not an option? Being a freelancer doesn't automatically mean you live like a hermit.

I think that option should be considered as "Gatherings at home".

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sort of Jul 1, 2017

Julian Holmes wrote:

I talk to myself.

I have lots of mirrors all over the house. You'd be amazed at the interesting conversations I have with all those lookalikes on the other side. I particularly like the oval Victorian one - it shows me in sepia. I don't have to go out and get a tan now, do I.

Unfortunately, this is not an option in the poll.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Other Jul 2, 2017

Sometimes they feed me...

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
other Jul 2, 2017

my partner is an extrovert so he organises our social life and I tag along.

except Friday night, when I go to a yoga class with a friend from back in the day when I was a whole lot more sociable. we invariably go out for a drink and a chat afterwards.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not sure Jul 2, 2017

What I'm sure of is that since I became a full-time freelancer at home, my social life was reduced to almost nothing. However, I'm also not sure I miss it. Hanging around with other people in times of "politically correct", "viva the minorities", "millenium generation" and other current social shits may not be such a pleasant thing. When I discuss with other people in the social media pages or when I have the opportuinity of meeting family and other people outside, I only feel more and more like... See more
What I'm sure of is that since I became a full-time freelancer at home, my social life was reduced to almost nothing. However, I'm also not sure I miss it. Hanging around with other people in times of "politically correct", "viva the minorities", "millenium generation" and other current social shits may not be such a pleasant thing. When I discuss with other people in the social media pages or when I have the opportuinity of meeting family and other people outside, I only feel more and more like staying right here in my place with my wife and children only.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you socialize as a freelancer who works alone at home?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »