Steven Ritchie
Steven Ritchie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:26
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2022

Been having problems with formatting tags to match Japanese source text in the English translation, as the languages are so different. Getting confused as to whether a space in the source text tag (or lack of space) means a space should be added (or removed) in the English translation tag. Also should the numbering order be the same?

Can anyone point me to a good online guide for correctly formatting messed-up tags for Japanese to English translation in Memsource.

Note.
... See more
Been having problems with formatting tags to match Japanese source text in the English translation, as the languages are so different. Getting confused as to whether a space in the source text tag (or lack of space) means a space should be added (or removed) in the English translation tag. Also should the numbering order be the same?

Can anyone point me to a good online guide for correctly formatting messed-up tags for Japanese to English translation in Memsource.

Note. They were files converted from Trados to Memsource, if that makes a difference.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:26
English to Russian
Put them all at the end Jun 17, 2022

If your tags do not modify formatting, you can simply press and hold F8 at the end of a segment. This is how you can meet the tag verification requirements and avoid confusing.
If I misunderstand your problem, could you please give a screenshot of the issue?

Steven Ritchie
Steven Ritchie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
F8 function and other shortcuts Jun 18, 2022

Thank you very much.

I had no idea about the F8 function. That sounds like it can save me a lot of hassle in the future.

Does the F8 function work for Memsource online browser version?

I think in this case the tags didn't modify formatting, judging by the source PDF texts.

However, the tags were used for numbers and titles, so perhaps they did have a formatting function too.

In the case where they modify formatting, is any other sh
... See more
Thank you very much.

I had no idea about the F8 function. That sounds like it can save me a lot of hassle in the future.

Does the F8 function work for Memsource online browser version?

I think in this case the tags didn't modify formatting, judging by the source PDF texts.

However, the tags were used for numbers and titles, so perhaps they did have a formatting function too.

In the case where they modify formatting, is any other shortcut available?

Sorry don't have screenshot as project is finished.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Select+F8 Jun 18, 2022

Steafan34 wrote:
In the case where they modify formatting, is any other shortcut available?
If they modify formatting, you have to keep them in proper position. And yes, if you have a number of paired tags in a segment you have to place them according to their numbers and change their sequence where needed.
I mean cases like this:

Source: 私は[1]来週[1]旅行に[2][2]きます。
Target: I will [2]go[2] on a trip [1]next week[1].

To achieve this, first select the target text to be tagged with [1]'s ('next week') and press F8. Then select the text to be tagged with [2]'s ('go') and again press F8.

I don't know if F8 works in the web editor because I don't use it, but you can try.

[Edited at 2022-06-18 17:57 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
One more case Jun 18, 2022

And in the case that you have a mix of tags that modify formatting and garbage tags (in a badly ocr'ed PDF for example), you can put garbage tags at the end of a segment and formatting tags at their proper positions.
If you need to remove all tags from the target column for any reason, you can press Ctrl+F8 to this effect.

[Edited at 2022-06-18 16:34 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Typing Jun 18, 2022

Mr Konev has, as usual, provided excellent advice. You may already be aware of this, but you can simply type tags directly in Memsource, such as by inputting {1>, which will be converted directly into a tag as you hit the keys. In some cases this is actually quicker than using F8 etc., and provides more control. Placement of tags is a subjective issue, given how different the two languages are, as you note.

Dan
PS didn't know about Ctrl+F8 - thanks Stepan

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Back at you Jun 18, 2022

Dan Lucas wrote:
I didn't know about this: you can simply type tags directly in Memsource, such as by inputting {1>, which will be converted directly into a tag as you hit the keys.
Although it only converted into tags after I pressed Ctrl+Enter (I expected it to get converted once I type it), but still interesting information. Thank you too

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Desktop Editor? Jan 25, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
Dan Lucas wrote:
I didn't know about this: you can simply type tags directly in Memsource, such as by inputting {1>, which will be converted directly into a tag as you hit the keys.
Although it only converted into tags after I pressed Ctrl+Enter (I expected it to get converted once I type it), but still interesting information. Thank you too

It works in Desktop Editor, but I haven't tried it in the online editor.

Dan

Stepan Konev

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Memsource tag formatting from Japanese to English

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »