Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2002

Could you inform me what the average rate is?

Thanks!

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:32
French to German
+ ...
Simple transcription? No translation? Jun 4, 2002

That\'s an office job. I would say 15 $ is a good rate (per hour), some people pay (and take) less.

And you must be good at it to get 15 $ an hour.

I would not recommend it for a translator.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-04 22:15 ]

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:32
German to English
+ ...
How about transcription with translation - for an English company by a German-based translator Dec 2, 2002

I have just finished transcribing a German interview with a paediatrician. Having had little experience in transcription and the rates, I foolishly agreed on 80 pounds per tape. It transpired that it took me a lot longer than the anticipated 6 hours (more like 15 for an hour\'s tape - the quality was diabolical and this was confirmed by a German native!)

Now I have managed to renegotiate the rate - I still have to translate the transcription and told them it took me around 1
... See more
I have just finished transcribing a German interview with a paediatrician. Having had little experience in transcription and the rates, I foolishly agreed on 80 pounds per tape. It transpired that it took me a lot longer than the anticipated 6 hours (more like 15 for an hour\'s tape - the quality was diabolical and this was confirmed by a German native!)

Now I have managed to renegotiate the rate - I still have to translate the transcription and told them it took me around 15 hours to transcribe it. We agreed on a rate of €25 per hour and, to be quite honest, I feel I could have asked for a bit more, but as we hadn\'t agreed on this from the outset and I felt they were being cooperative, considering the circumstances - I was no longer able to deliver the job on time, etc. and of course was renogotiating what we had already agreed on - I decided not to ask for too much. However, I am thinking that I should be asking for more for the next job - but the question is, just how much?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription rates in USA

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »