Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29] >
一个英国人的汉译英试译(以此接得某大项目)
Initiator des Themas: Alan Wang
Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:27
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
the issue Mar 24, 2009

wherestip

I think you are telling the truth here about how the issue came up.

It really was because you said the five points (which I think are mistakes) were all acceptable to a native that I somehow lost my patience (but not necessarily my temper).

I still can't understand why you say they are all acceptable speech patterns to a native. Take the most obvious example, where in the translation “kneading” (by the way, Mr. Sun has agreed that it should
... See more
wherestip

It really was because you said the five points (which I think are mistakes) were all acceptable to a native that I somehow lost my patience (but not necessarily my temper).

I still can't understand why you say they are all acceptable speech patterns to a native. Take the most obvious example, where in the translation “kneading” (by the way, Mr. Sun has agreed that it should be “kneaded”) is used instead of the word "kneaded", to me, it is totally unacceptable. In real situations, I guess no translation agency, no proofreader, no end customer would have accepted that the two words “kneading” and “kneaded” are interchangeable in a sentence without drastically affecting the meaning of what is conveyed.

Granted, that you have a valid reason for saying so, then what about the mistakes that Mr. Sun found in my translation. Did you find anything in the mistakes pointed out by Mr Sun as “not really mistakes since they are all speech patterns acceptable to a native”? If that is the case, what is the point of inviting Mr. Sun to criticize the translation?

PS:
Having said all these, I still believe that I am taking this discussion rather professionally, without much of personal feelings against anyone. I would not necessarily expect the same from the other party or parties in the discussion, because I realize that there are people of different shades, so to speak. I wouldn’t care people saying disliking me. That’s their privilege. I only advise that do not make your dislike too obvious, because you cannot at the same time hide a certain weakness that is associated with that blatant showcasing of feeling.
I also congratulate the mods here for being very helpful in moderating this discussion.

wherestip wrote:

Like Yueyin said, it really isn't an issue of whether the person happened to be a native English speaker or not. The issue only came up when I stated that the numerous "mistakes" pointed out by dumont were not really mistakes since they are all speech patterns acceptable to a native English-speaking person.

[Edited at 2009-03-23 23:07 GMT]
Collapse

Alan Wang
China
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
nativeness Mar 24, 2009

nigerose:

其他的不说,难道你也认为这个获选译文是"native"做的?

看来我是要把这个译文贴到natives多的地方,让他们评评到底是不是native做的。 不搞清楚我简直会死不瞑目啊

nigerose wrote:

Dumont,既然你开这个帖子请peers评价你的译文,就应该虚心一点。

我觉得有个问题要提醒你一下,其实你也早就知道的道理。

翻译先要做到“信”,然后求“雅”。
你在论坛上的英文发言看来写得还比较“雅”。我不是学英文专业的,还写不出来呢。
但是,看看ysun在本帖子第三页指出的你的译文错误,基本上就栽在“信”上。做不到“信”,还跟native比什么nativeness?
国内专利翻译领域,基本上不会要英文专业毕业生做专利翻译,而是请理工科研究生博士生。当然理工科毕业生在英文水平上不如英语专业毕业生,但专利翻译最重要的是“信”,不需要“雅”。
其实无论什么翻译,首先要做到“信”。

[修改时间: 2009-03-24 02:23 GMT]

[修改时间: 2009-03-24 02:28 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 14:27
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Professionalism Mar 24, 2009

dumont wrote:

wherestip

I still can't understand why you say they are all acceptable speech patterns to a native. Take the most obvious example, where in the translation “kneading” (by the way, Mr. Sun has agreed that it should be “kneaded”) is used instead of the word "kneaded", to me, it is totally unacceptable. In real situations, I guess no translation agency, no proofreader, no end customer would have accepted that the two words “kneading” and “kneaded” are interchangeable in a sentence without drastically affecting the meaning of what is conveyed.

Granted, that you have a valid reason for saying so, then what about the mistakes that Mr. Sun found in my translation. Did you find anything in the mistakes pointed out by Mr Sun as “not really mistakes since they are all speech patterns acceptable to a native”? If that is the case, what is the point of inviting Mr. Sun to criticize the translation?

PS:
Having said all these, I still believe that I am taking this discussion rather professionally, without much of personal feelings against anyone. I would not necessarily expect the same from the other party or parties in the discussion, because I realize that there are people of different shades, so to speak. I wouldn’t care people saying disliking me. That’s their privilege. I only advise that do not make your dislike too obvious, because you cannot at the same time hide a certain weakness that is associated with that blatant showcasing of feeling.
I also congratulate the mods here for being very helpful in moderating this discussion.

wherestip wrote:

Like Yueyin said, it really isn't an issue of whether the person happened to be a native English speaker or not. The issue only came up when I stated that the numerous "mistakes" pointed out by dumont were not really mistakes since they are all speech patterns acceptable to a native English-speaking person.

dumont,

Like Yueyin pointed out way back when, you didn't even realize it when you said something that was offensive, just like the "Pseudo-Chinese Catalonian Frenchman of English origin" remark. What else did you intend to accomplish by those Waterloo sarcasms but to put someone else down?

I pointed out to you that using phony credentials is not an honest thing to do, and even provided a link to a past discussion for you to read up on how peers feel about this kind of plagiarism. Do you want to go back and check on how you responded?

And what do you mean by people of "different shades"? Do you even realize how impolite that phrase is used in the context of this discussion?

But if you want to act truly professionally, I am more than willing to spend some time and explain to you the sentence structure of "... heating the kneading paste within". Actually, I've already provided a good example of this that was used by a native English speaker who is obviously well-spoken.

[Edited at 2009-03-24 17:17 GMT]

Alan Wang
China
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
google results Mar 24, 2009

isahuang

google results of "nativity of language" clearly outnumber that of "nativeness of language".

i would have hoped that wherestip would have come up with a "acceptable speech patterns to the native" theory to explain it, but .....

isahuang wrote:

well, since the dollar has depreciated, it is probably only worth 1 cent now

I think what you mean by "nativity" should be "nativeness". And "native people" is different from native speakers.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
sarcasm again Mar 24, 2009

dumont wrote:

isahuang

google results of "nativity of language" clearly outnumber that of "nativeness of language".

i would have hoped that wherestip would have come up with a "acceptable speech patterns to the native" theory to explain it, but .....

isahuang wrote:

I think what you mean by "nativity" should be "nativeness". And "native people" is different from native speakers.

There you go again. You just don't learn anything, do you?

"nativity" can be used in the way you intended to, but it usually is used to refer to the birth of Jesus Christ.

Goodbye.

[Edited at 2009-03-24 13:55 GMT]

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 15:27
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
you just don't get it, do you Mar 24, 2009

dumont wrote:

isahuang

isahuang wrote:

I wouldn't use the expression of nativeness of language. If you choose to compare "nativeness of language" with "nativity of language", that is your business. Both expressions sound weird. I don't care about google results. But I know people here don't say it that way.

Alan Wang
China
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
how would people over there say it Mar 24, 2009

Of course, you are all day long around the natives, you know better.

What are the words or ways they would use to say it then?

isahuang wrote:

I wouldn't use the expression of nativeness of language. If you choose to compare "nativeness of language" with "nativity of language", that is your business. Both expressions sound weird. I don't care about google results. But I know people here don't say it that way.

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 15:27
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
I already told you, Mar 24, 2009

dumont wrote:

Of course, you are all day long around the natives, you know better.

What are the words or ways they would use to say it then?

isahuang wrote:

it is the word "nativeness".

You have a big attitude. You asked people to comment on your translation and when the comments are not what you would expect, you just cannot accept it. When I pointed out some of the words in your English posts were not used properly, you again don't believe that is the case. Your English is not bad, but certainly not as good as you thought.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
What to verify Mar 24, 2009

dumont wrote:

nigerose:

其他的不说,难道你也认为这个获选译文是"native"做的?

看来我是要把这个译文贴到natives多的地方,让他们评评到底是不是native做的。 不搞清楚我简直会死不瞑目啊

dumont,

I don’t want to hurt your feeling, but it is quite possible that if you post both translated passages in the English forum, the native English speakers would say that the Englishman doesn’t appear to be a native English speaker, but his translation is still more acceptable than yours. You should also be well prepared to hear much more unfavorable criticism over there than what you have heard from here. If you don't believe, just feel free to have a try.

dumont wrote:

以上这个译稿,客户一口肯定是英国人的,说句老实话,我不太相信。

Please note that “英国人" refers to a person who has British nationality. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the person is a native English speaker.

dumont wrote:

希望大家对我的译文也批批,抓到一个类似以上的比较严重的错误,感谢不尽。不要说没有问题,难道我的译文比英国人的译文还好吗?
:)

dumont wrote:

But of course, I do think my test is comparatively better than the one they choose.

Obviously, that has been what you want to be verified from the very beginning. Therefore, what sense would it make to verify whether the Englishman is a native English speaker or not?

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
英语是事实上的世界语 Mar 25, 2009

Dumont:

英语是事实上的世界语了。什么样的英语都有。Native English也不断受到non-native English的冲击。
昨天看到报纸上的一张照片,是印度著名汽车企业塔塔集团的新车发表会照片。我看到新车后面的广告招牌上竟然写着“peoples' car”,呵呵。按照标准的英语语法,这是错误的,不过google发现,peoples的使用已经泛滥成灾了。

对于科技英语,最主要的是准确(信),不出语法错误。
至于你说的英国人的译文,我一开始就不太相信,国内翻译社低得可怜的价格,能吸引英国人去做这个翻译。而且这个翻译的内容属于工程技术,工科背景又懂中文的英国人有几个?为什么会给国内翻译社做低廉的翻译?
翻译社说个谎,你这么当真干嘛?
关键还是比较谁翻译得准确吧。

nigerose
China
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
kneading还是kneaded Mar 25, 2009

dumont wrote:

关于kneading还是kneaded的问题,这与nativeness无关。这其实关系到表达的准确性。
kneading固然不合适,kneaded也不一定正确。因为kneaded有表示完成的意思:

金山词霸:
kneaded
adj.
揉捏了的, 塑造了的

而原文应该指“正在揉捏”。

[修改时间: 2009-03-25 01:49 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Agree Mar 25, 2009

nigerose wrote:

而原文应该指“正在揉捏”。

我个人看法应为 “heating the paste being kneaded ” 。

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
语言是活的东西 Mar 25, 2009

昨天收到一个广告邮件,是一个提供发送大文件服务的公司以CEO的名义发的,标题就是:

Cutting-Edge Services for Cutting Costs

这里Cutting Costs和kneading的情况类似。

另外,译者在心里可能觉得加热过程和kneading的过程同时发生,Native speakers 并不一定100%遵循既定的规则。

中文中也有各种各样的用法可能也不规范,但是时间久了就成了大家能够接�
... See more

中文中也有各种各样的用法可能也不规范,但是时间久了就成了大家能够接受的了,尽管竭力提倡纯粹化的语法专家反对也没用。现有的语法规则也是长期使用慢慢形成的。

nigerose wrote:

dumont wrote:

关于kneading还是kneaded的问题,这与nativeness无关。这其实关系到表达的准确性。
kneading固然不合适,kneaded也不一定正确。因为kneaded有表示完成的意思:

金山词霸:
kneaded
adj.
揉捏了的, 塑造了的

而原文应该指“正在揉捏”。

[修改时间: 2009-03-25 01:49 GMT]
Collapse

nigerose
China
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
关于within Mar 25, 2009

看看那个“英国人”的这段翻译:

完成粉料加料后,预混物料、混捏物料。预混、混捏的工艺要求温度180-250℃。混捏机的混捏腔是双层结构,双层结构的夹套内通温度180-280℃的循环使用的热导热油,加热混捏糊料。
After all of the powders have been added, the materials are premixed and kneaded. The required temperature during the premixing and kneading stage is between 180 and 250℃. The kneading cavity
... See more
看看那个“英国人”的这段翻译:

完成粉料加料后,预混物料、混捏物料。预混、混捏的工艺要求温度180-250℃。混捏机的混捏腔是双层结构,双层结构的夹套内通温度180-280℃的循环使用的热导热油,加热混捏糊料。
After all of the powders have been added, the materials are premixed and kneaded. The required temperature during the premixing and kneading stage is between 180 and 250℃. The kneading cavity of the kneading device has a double-layer structure. This layered structure creates a jacket between which circulates a heat-conducting oil, at a temperature of 180-280℃, heating the kneading paste within.

最后一个单词within指代谁?从英文翻译来看只能指代同个句子中的jacket。而实际上,混捏糊料是在混捏腔中进行的。

其实原文“混捏机的混捏腔是双层结构,双层结构的夹套内”就是不正确的表达。

翻译中,经常碰到原文表达不正确、不清楚,很头疼的事情。

现在人心都很浮躁,能做正确的事,正确地做事就不错了。什么“雅”,什么“nativeness”都是遥远的目标。
Collapse

nigerose
China
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
not the same Mar 25, 2009

Libin PhD wrote:

中文中也有各种各样的用法可能也不规范,但是时间久了就成了大家能够接受的了,尽管竭力提倡纯粹化的语法专家反对也没用。现有的语法规则也是长期使用慢慢形成的。

不一样。
第二个cutting是因为在介词for后面,所以要用ing形式。这是标准英语语法的规定。
cutting cost相当于“谓语+宾语”结构
而(heating) the kneading paste 中的“kneading paste ”相当于“形容词+名词”结构,这个结构做heating的宾语。

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

一个英国人的汉译英试译(以此接得某大项目)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »