Import CRU into crossTank: is it possible?
Thread poster: Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:53
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 24, 2014

Dear all,

this is probably a very old, discussed theme, so please forgive me if I am repeating this question again.

After several projects done in the client's server (he sends me the CWU, I send him the CRU, in Across Language Server, 5.7), the concordance search doesn't find words/translation units I am sure I translated before. I have looked for them in the advanced search mode too, to no avail.

Since I dumbly did not export a TMX after each and every pr
... See more
Dear all,

this is probably a very old, discussed theme, so please forgive me if I am repeating this question again.

After several projects done in the client's server (he sends me the CWU, I send him the CRU, in Across Language Server, 5.7), the concordance search doesn't find words/translation units I am sure I translated before. I have looked for them in the advanced search mode too, to no avail.

Since I dumbly did not export a TMX after each and every project, I don't have any backup for this.
Then it came to my mind, if I could somehow import/open the CRU with my translations and use it for the concordance search?

Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions on how to solve this?

Thank you!

Best
Bárbara
Collapse

Adrian Godfrey
Adrian Godfrey
Luxembourg
Local time: 15:53
German to English
+ ...
How to salvage anything from across Sep 24, 2014

This is the basic problem with across. You cannot export to TMX - the infamous "you do not have permission"!

The CRU is not documented. Neither is the SQL Server database. The data are there somewhere, but it will take a long time and playing with SQL scripts to find out exactly where..

The question is why this basic functionality is still missing from across and no hint of this bug ever being fixed.

>> Since I dumbly did not export a TMX after each and eve
... See more
This is the basic problem with across. You cannot export to TMX - the infamous "you do not have permission"!

The CRU is not documented. Neither is the SQL Server database. The data are there somewhere, but it will take a long time and playing with SQL scripts to find out exactly where..

The question is why this basic functionality is still missing from across and no hint of this bug ever being fixed.

>> Since I dumbly did not export a TMX after each and every
project, I don't have any backup for this.
Then it came to my mind, if I could somehow import/open the
CRU with my translations and use it for the concordance
search?

Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions on how to solve
this?
Collapse

Barbara Santos
Portugal
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, prozags01, Sep 24, 2014

I was afraid someone would say that

But I would like to know what workarounds do other across users use to save their work in some way. Export the TM every time you finish a project?

Good night to you all!
Bárbara

Adrian Godfrey
Adrian Godfrey
Luxembourg
German to English
+ ...
How to save anyrhing at all Sep 24, 2014

If we could export the TM, there wouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes you can actually save the target as a Word file, but I haven't found a way to export the source as an actual file, other than printing it to PDF

It's very time-consuming but you could play with OCR on that PDF to get a Word file and then play with alignment tools (e.g. WinAlign) to get some kind of normal TM.

Barbara Santos wrote:

I was afraid someone would say that

But I would like to know what workarounds do other across users use to save their work in some way. Export the TM every time you finish a project?

Good night to you all!
Bárbara

Barbara Santos
Portugal
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But... Sep 25, 2014

you can export the TM -> in crossTank Manager/Export translation.
Or are you referring to something else?

My problem with exporting the TM and then later importing it to the current project is that the client might have changed something in the translation, causing my export to be inconsistent.

Well, anyway, I have now exported the TM and saved all files as HTM/Word, hoping I won't need to lose time with a "find-and-search" action anymore...

Cheers... See more
you can export the TM -> in crossTank Manager/Export translation.

My problem with exporting the TM and then later importing it to the current project is that the client might have changed something in the translation, causing my export to be inconsistent.

Well, anyway, I have now exported the TM and saved all files as HTM/Word, hoping I won't need to lose time with a "find-and-search" action anymore...

Cheers
Bárbara
Collapse

Adrian Godfrey
Adrian Godfrey
Luxembourg
German to English
+ ...
exporting translation into something useful Sep 25, 2014

"export translation" does not give you a TM. It only gives you the actual translation in the target language. But where is the source? You need both the source and the target to be able to make a TMX.

"export to TMX" gives "you do not have permission" in crossTank Manager/Export translation.

Cheers
Bárbara [/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import CRU into crossTank: is it possible?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »