Looking for advice — Considering selling my personal term base
Thread poster: Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:11
Japanese to English
Oct 21, 2023

I have a general Japanese/English term base that I have been adding to for more than 12 years. As any professional trader knows, using translation software and a good term base can save huge amounts of time translating. The term base can be converted to any format and has nearly 45,000 entries, many of which are slang or terms that otherwise do not show up in online dictionary searches from sites like Weblio, ALC, or Linguee. Many entries have multiple English terms for each Japanese entry and p... See more
I have a general Japanese/English term base that I have been adding to for more than 12 years. As any professional trader knows, using translation software and a good term base can save huge amounts of time translating. The term base can be converted to any format and has nearly 45,000 entries, many of which are slang or terms that otherwise do not show up in online dictionary searches from sites like Weblio, ALC, or Linguee. Many entries have multiple English terms for each Japanese entry and provide context.

I am just looking to get some feedback on the viability of making this term base available for sale through some kind of marketplace or a personal website. Some of the things I'm wondering about are:

-Is this the right ProZ subforum to post this?
-Would a term base be something that many professional traders would want?
-What formats should I offer?
-How much should I charge?
-Where should I sell it?
-Should I offer a return policy?

I would love to hear from you all, so spare no opinions!

[Edited at 2023-10-21 20:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-21 20:38 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Book of Japanese Slang Oct 21, 2023

I should think the best way would be to create a book of slang and sell it on Amazon, etc. There are currently no modern books available for Japanese to English slang terms (perhaps because it changes so quickly). However, we would need context and sample sentences.

[Edited at 2023-10-21 23:19 GMT]

Cassidy9
Cassidy9
United States
Local time: 00:11
New user
suggestion Apr 16

Your extensive Japanese/English term base sounds like a valuable resource for professional traders. Posting on ProZ's subforum seems suitable for reaching your target audience, but it might also be worth exploring other platforms frequented by traders. Formats like Excel, CSV, or even dedicated software could cater to different preferences. Pricing could depend on factors like the depth of the entries and the market demand, with options for a one-time purchase or subscription.

As fo
... See more
Your extensive Japanese/English term base sounds like a valuable resource for professional traders. Posting on ProZ's subforum seems suitable for reaching your target audience, but it might also be worth exploring other platforms frequented by traders. Formats like Excel, CSV, or even dedicated software could cater to different preferences. Pricing could depend on factors like the depth of the entries and the market demand, with options for a one-time purchase or subscription.

As for selling, consider platforms like your own website, trading forums, or language learning marketplaces. Offering a return policy could enhance buyer confidence and satisfaction. Overall, your initiative seems promising, and gathering feedback from potential users will be key in refining your approach. Best of luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for advice — Considering selling my personal term base

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »