Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:04
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 18, 2023

For those among you working into/out of UN languages, here is a link to the organization's terminology database,

https://unterm.un.org/unterm2/en/

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dalia Nour
Daryo

Carole Wolfe
Carole Wolfe  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thank you Oct 18, 2023

I think this will be very useful to me as a translator of Spanish or Russian into English.
Thank you for your help and contribution.

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Gennady Lapardin
Dalia Nour

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you, Barbara! Oct 18, 2023

I’ve used it from time to time. Portuguese is not one of the UN languages (yet), but often finding out what a term means in other languages is a door opener.

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
texjax DDS PhD
Dalia Nour

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 09:04
English to Russian
+ ...
UN language is a ding an und für sich Oct 18, 2023

On the one hand, I met people who said, "He makes a living translating UN documents, you know?" – and you'd understand right away that the translator being referred to was worth very little. On the other hand, I know at least one person who is a pro and has spent a lot of time translating UN documents (he said he wouldn't mind working for them full-time because UN translators swim in money but the only problem was that he had just one working foreign language). When I worked on UN documents, I... See more
On the one hand, I met people who said, "He makes a living translating UN documents, you know?" – and you'd understand right away that the translator being referred to was worth very little. On the other hand, I know at least one person who is a pro and has spent a lot of time translating UN documents (he said he wouldn't mind working for them full-time because UN translators swim in money but the only problem was that he had just one working foreign language). When I worked on UN documents, I'd usually find those glossaries quite unhelpful, but this particular glossary (along with certain others) is still among my browser favoritesCollapse

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Dalia Nour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UNTERM - THE UN TERMINOLOGY DATABASE

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »