Karl Apsel  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:17
Member (2001)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 24, 2001

Hello everybody out there,

Can anyone recommend a good (!) legal dictionary German English?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:17
German to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2001

Most of these dictionaries come in 2 volumes; one for each direction. I prefer to have several different legal dictionaries, because one will never give you all the answers you seek.

I also like to keep Black\'s Law Dictionary handy for easy cross-reference.

Most of us swear by Romain and Dietl+Lorenz (D+L has a new English-German volume - 2000!).

And you will also find many legal terms in most business/economics dictionaries.
... See more
Most of these dictionaries come in 2 volumes; one for each direction. I prefer to have several different legal dictionaries, because one will never give you all the answers you seek.

I also like to keep Black\'s Law Dictionary handy for easy cross-reference.

Most of us swear by Romain and Dietl+Lorenz (D+L has a new English-German volume - 2000!).

And you will also find many legal terms in most business/economics dictionaries.

The Internet also offers many glossaries and references.
Collapse

Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:17
German to English
Aug 30, 2001

Hi, I don\'t know what purpose you need it for, but this is a good basic dictionary that I have found a lot of terms in:

Dictionary of Legal and Commercial Terms by C.H. Beck, published by Romain.

ISBN: 3-406-35836-5

[addsig]

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2001

two words:

Hamblock/Wessels!

Robin Ward
Robin Ward
Germany
Local time: 16:17
German to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2001

Clara-Erika Dietl, Wörterbuch für Recht, Wirtschaft und Politik (Dictionary of Legal, Commercial and Political Terms). Verlag C.H. Beck. Is something of a standard reference work in this field.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
German to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2001

Hi,

I also think Hamblock/Wessels is very good, but actually more of a business dictionary, rather than strictly a legal dictionary. The two I know of are Dietl (separate vols. for De-En and En-De - each about DM300 or so) and Romaine.

Cheers,

Daina

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 16:17
German to English
+ ...
Sep 20, 2001

I agree with Daina, Hamblock/Wessels is very much a business dictionary - I would not use it for legal terminology. I use the new edition of Dietl and Garner\'s Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage to clarify the use of any terms I am unsure of.

[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal Dictionary (German English)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »