Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
moconnor
moconnor
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
If the source file isnt available... Nov 28, 2003

I can only echo what I think Sylver wrote earlier - a pdf is really only a document completed in a word processing application such as MS Word or Adobe FrameMaker (my preferred choice) that has been printed electronically primarily for ease of distribution. I find it pretty scary that so many of you seem to be simply accepting that you have to try and translate directly with the pdf file - a pdf cannot exist without a source word processing document. Of course there are always reasons why the so... See more
I can only echo what I think Sylver wrote earlier - a pdf is really only a document completed in a word processing application such as MS Word or Adobe FrameMaker (my preferred choice) that has been printed electronically primarily for ease of distribution. I find it pretty scary that so many of you seem to be simply accepting that you have to try and translate directly with the pdf file - a pdf cannot exist without a source word processing document. Of course there are always reasons why the source file might not be available, but to save yourselves so much more time and effort, ALWAYS always ask for the source files first.

One tip though regarding anyone stuck with a pdf file that contains a large amount of images... you can batch extract all images providing you have Adobe Acrobat, by selecting File - Export - Extract images as... and then you have a choice of JPEG. TIFF or PNG files. All images in the document are then sent to the location you specify on your pc or network, ready for you to import as required into your translation.

Mike

[Edited at 2003-11-28 11:57]

[Edited at 2003-11-28 11:57]
Collapse

Stephen Lins
Stephen Lins
German to English
Another one to try Nov 28, 2003

SolidConverter PDF has worked well for me in the case of "text-type" PDF files (as opposed to the "image-type"). It will recreate the layout of the pages in MS Word better than anything else I have tried. (I have not been able to try the Scansoft product because they offer no trial version.) The website for Solid Converter is http://www.solidpdf.com and I believe it costs US $50 after the trial period.

... See more
SolidConverter PDF has worked well for me in the case of "text-type" PDF files (as opposed to the "image-type"). It will recreate the layout of the pages in MS Word better than anything else I have tried. (I have not been able to try the Scansoft product because they offer no trial version.) The website for Solid Converter is http://www.solidpdf.com and I believe it costs US $50 after the trial period.

If you get a PDF file where none of the text can be copied and pasted using the Acrobat Reader, then it is an image-type PDF and you will need OCR software to get editable text.

[Edited at 2003-11-30 14:26]
Collapse

Danniken
Danniken
English
Point of Reference from Adobe www.planetpdf.com www.pdfzone.com Jan 27, 2004

Guys, I've found useful information from the following websites for my PDF conversion needs. Most offer limited demos: www.planetpdf.com www.pdfzone.com
-----------------------
... See more
Guys, I've found useful information from the following websites for my PDF conversion needs. Most offer limited demos: www.planetpdf.com www.pdfzone.com
------------------------------------
Reference Source (1/27/04): http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1c356.htm

"Note: When you paste the text, it may not be formatted as it was in the PDF file, and you see different results in different applications. The text's color, point size, and style are usually retained, but its font is usually not retained. This is because of the way various applications collect information from the system's clipboard, which is where Acrobat copies text. Also, the application into which you're pasting must support Rich Text Format (RTF) text from the clipboard; if it doesn't, you'll receive an error message or nothing will happen. Adobe Systems has no control over the way different applications collect information from the system's clipboard, and cannot assist you with achieving more consistent results when copying and pasting.

Third-party products let you extract text or graphics in the format you want. For a list of some of these products, check www.planetpdf.com and www.pdfzone.com. These Web sites provide lists of vendors who distribute products for use with Acrobat products."
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Danniken Jan 28, 2004

... for the very interesting information.
Best regards

Barnaby

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
I've tried the pdf converter Feb 1, 2004

I've tried the scansoft pdf converter with limited success. It works well on simple files, but got in a bit of a mess with more complicated files with lots of columns. Having got a quarter of the way through a text, formatting problems meant I ended up starting from scratch as I felt I couldn't deliver the customer a file looking like that. Also found it very slow opening segments to work with Trados. But all in all quite usable for pdfs with simple formats.

Fernando Domeniconi
Fernando Domeniconi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This is an old forum... Nov 16, 2010

...but I thought it would be nice to add this.

Although I agree about not accepting pdf files, sometimes it might be unavoidable, and that was my case today and that's why I ended up here and found this forum.

I've tried several options until I found Nitro PDF Professional. You can try it for 14 days.

I've just converted a pdf into word and the results were great. The fonts are a little different, but everything else is there, pictures, columns, layout, etc
... See more
...but I thought it would be nice to add this.

Although I agree about not accepting pdf files, sometimes it might be unavoidable, and that was my case today and that's why I ended up here and found this forum.

I've tried several options until I found Nitro PDF Professional. You can try it for 14 days.

I've just converted a pdf into word and the results were great. The fonts are a little different, but everything else is there, pictures, columns, layout, etc...

http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx

It costs almost USD 100.00, but, in my case, I might get a large translation on pdf files and it would pay itself.

Anyway, hope it helps!
Collapse

trent2101
trent2101
Dutch to Czech
+ ...
Fine Reader Mar 10, 2011

I just got this info from my friend, who has areally good experience with Fine Reader. It converts pDF to Word and has a tool that automatically shows words that weren´t clear- so you can correct the mistakes the program makes easily..

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF conversion

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »