Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Selling Glossaries?
Thread poster: Camille Abou Jamra
hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 09:45
English to German
confirmation Cano Binder Mar 27, 2009

Re your of 09:50: That's exactly the way it works; I'd only add that other documents from the political-technical realms may offer reliable source texts in a translator's specialty. Without going into the finer points of database design for linguistic purposes here your post shows that any hoover analogy may be widely off the mark. A bilingual word list is not the same as a term management system! Glad you've put this on record here and thanks.

Xuling Wu
Xuling Wu
United States
Local time: 00:45
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don’t mind selling my glossaries Jun 3, 2023

First off, a termbase or glossary is different than a translation memory, although you can build a glossary from your CAT tools.

Secondly, a professionally compiled and edited glossary is very valuable. The terms are researched on with references to credible sources and term translations should be validated from credible sources, too. A professionally compiled glossary is similar to UPS’ proprietary map. It is much more valuable to a package delivery driver than Google Map becaus
... See more
First off, a termbase or glossary is different than a translation memory, although you can build a glossary from your CAT tools.

Secondly, a professionally compiled and edited glossary is very valuable. The terms are researched on with references to credible sources and term translations should be validated from credible sources, too. A professionally compiled glossary is similar to UPS’ proprietary map. It is much more valuable to a package delivery driver than Google Map because it gives verified, trade specific information, such as which street the loading dock is on. Even AI can’t compile this map because the information doesn’t come from googling, but from delivery drivers’ personal experiences. My glossaries come from years of professional experiences, too. For example, my medical glossaries come from years of experience of working in the field as a medical interpreter. It is also more than from googling or looking up dictionaries.
I often have to read trade journals or consult doctors to understand some difficult terms correctly. That is also an asset that needs to be created manually. No, AI, not even ChatGPT4, cannot do it either.

Thirdly, I am open to selling my glossaries. I see this as a brand building strategy. If people trust you enough to buy your glossaries, you’ve established yourself as a domain knowledge expert.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selling Glossaries?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »