Thread poster: Dimitrije Janic
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 22:28
English to Romanian
Already done Mar 30, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Sorana, many agencies in the UK are set up by people from Eastern Europe, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. They pay what they would in their native country. Check the board of directors or the CEO before dealing with a UK agency.

I started doing that.

Anne Seerup

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Whether Romania is cheap Mar 30, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:
Romania is NOT a cheap country for Romanians in terms of living costs.
... Like Google may state some costs, but the reality may well be different.

It's true that it is very difficult to determine cost of living in another country, since the web sites that track these things track but a very small number of things, and not all things can be easily compared in more than one country.

For example, Numbeo tracks rental of a 3-bedroom apartment outside the city centre, but it doesn't take into account that e.g. in the Netherlands, according to official figures, renting an apartment is on average 50% more expensive than renting a house of the same size, and that apartment rental went up by 50% in the past 5 years whereas house rental went up by only 25% (but 25% in five years is still a massive increase). What's more, official figures for rental in the Netherlands are given per square meter, not per bedroom -- but I suppose in some countries, the square meterage doesn't matter, and only the number of bedrooms matter. (I'm comparing with Netherlands because that's where I live.)

And what about Romania -- things are probably different in Romania? These sites do not take such things into account.

Still, it can be a good starting point. Have a look:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Romania&country2=Netherlands

One can also look at things like minimum wage, but again that is very subjective because different countries have different norms about how they care for poor people. Minimum wage in Romania is EUR 3.50 per hour (40-hour week). Minimum wage in the Netherlands is EUR 10 per hour (40-hour week). It's difficult to know just how far such a comparison goes.

You mention "for Romanians", but I think this applies to most countries anyway: prices have gone up and salaries haven't, so isn't it expensive for everyone everywhere?

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Mar 30, 2022

If agency/client is going to stipulate their own desired rate according to translator's country's cost of living, then simply they should have translator's country's cost of living do the translation, not the translator.

Repetitions and/or matches? Sure, put as many repetitions and/or matches as you want, but if you ain't paying for them I ain't looking at them. Your unpaid repetitions and/or matches, your unpaid problem and/or dilemma!

Me at the supermaket yesterday, b
... See more
If agency/client is going to stipulate their own desired rate according to translator's country's cost of living, then simply they should have translator's country's cost of living do the translation, not the translator.

Repetitions and/or matches? Sure, put as many repetitions and/or matches as you want, but if you ain't paying for them I ain't looking at them. Your unpaid repetitions and/or matches, your unpaid problem and/or dilemma!

Me at the supermaket yesterday, buying a bag of rice: "what do you mean I can't pay for just one grain of rice at original price, and get the rest at discounted price; they're but repetitions and/or matches, HELLO (pointing at the rice bag)!".

Long story short, they said if I could convince the apparel store to sell them clothes at the original price of one thread and at a discounted price for the rest of the repeated threads, they will sell me that rice at the price I'm stipulating; sort of cunningly RICED me OUT of my scheme, really!

Right now at this moment of post publishing, I'm with the apparel guys, threading our thoughts on how to make it work, but they keep trying to send me to other sellers they have the same problem with!

I'm starting to think there are a chicken and an egg involved in this Halloween festival of dealings!

If any of you here willing to provide that rice at the mentioned price, I'm more than willing to reneg for your most competitive rate; but, I will be as thankful for that as your mother for her gifts on mother's day! What? She's not? Neither will I, suckers!
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
Here/there Mar 30, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

And what about Romania -- things are probably different in Romania? These sites do not take such things into account.

You mention "for Romanians", but I think this applies to most countries anyway: prices have gone up and salaries haven't, so isn't it expensive for everyone everywhere?

If we're talking about rent, then three factors are to be considered:
- place (town, city, country region - major discrepancies here)
- neighborhood
- number of bedrooms, whether it's fully/partially fitted or not fitted at all - and one must necessarily think that the first option over here is a flat, not a house, there are far more flats put up for rental or sale as compared to houses - so other factors matter as well: floor (people over here tend to avoid the ground and last floors), number of balconies, heating (own heating system, public heating system)

I was astounded by the increases here. I'll take your word for it, I don't know about other countries.
But Romania has had issues before. One doesn't see them unless one is living here and having to deal with everything that makes up a state - public schools, public clinics and hospitals, the administrative apparatus and so on. There are a LOT of unpredictable/hidden costs. Things are not transparent. Like I said, I've tried explaining this in the past, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Re in different countries. Mar 30, 2022

So ProZ membership and Trados license are cheaper in Romania than in the Netherlands, if I got it right?

Matthias Brombach

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
No idea Mar 31, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

So ProZ membership and Trados license are cheaper in Romania than in the Netherlands, if I got it right?

TBH, I have no idea.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lost... Mar 31, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Most things will be cheaper in Romania. That's an undeniable fact.

There is no reason for Sorana not to get work from outside Romania at US rates, and I could easily live off 6 cents a word in the Netherlands.

So I really don't understand the issue here.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Plus ... Mar 31, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:
... and I could easily live off 6 cents a word in the Netherlands.

So I really don't understand the issue here.

... buying a flat in Braz..., sorry, in Paris!

Baran Keki

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:28
Serbian to English
+ ...
In actual fact Apr 1, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Daryo, what may be relevant for your language-Serbian-may not be relevant for my languages: Russian, Chinese and Japanese.
Everyone has their own experiences and I said "many agencies" not "all". What I said in reference to the UK also, unfortunately, happens to be true for many (not all) agencies in US. As the Japanese say: "Junin toiro" (ten people, ten opinions"). A major cavil:
many of the agencies which post jobs in proz.com portray themselves as US companies. Once you dig a bit deeper, they are not.
An agency may have an office in Mayfair or Manhattan but eventually you find out they are in fact headquartered somewhere in East Gavnyukistan.

It was a more general observation about business practices in London UK.

It wasn't limited to Serbian language, and it wasn't limited to translation agencies.

When you stumble on a business with questionable practices in London, they could be run by just about anyone, including a solid helping of "pure locals".

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
Contradiction Apr 4, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Most things will be cheaper in Romania. That's an undeniable fact.

There is no reason for Sorana not to get work from outside Romania at US rates, ...

From my pov, there is a contradiction in your reply.

Most things will be cheaper in Romania vs. There is no reason not to get work from outside Romania at US rates.

If the agencies I've mentioned know the same as you, why would they bother offering US rates? And this goes for any other country viewed as "cheaper".

[Edited at 2022-04-04 07:04 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorana Apr 4, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:
From my pov, there is a contradiction in your reply.

Most things will be cheaper in Romania vs. There is no reason not to get work from outside Romania at US rates.

If the agencies I've mentioned know the same as you, why would they bother offering US rates? And this goes for any other country viewed as "cheaper".

I see what you mean, but it should still be easier to get higher rates from them because they are used to paying higher rates for translators in more expensive countries, and they have bigger margins as they are charging their clients more.

Plus, not all agencies prioritise price over quality.

In your position, I would definitely would seek out clients in the English-speaking world.

Jean Dimitriadis
Kevin Fulton

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are these rates real?!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »