Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:47
Portuguese to English
Friendly reminder Oct 2, 2013

Hi to all posters in this thread!

A very interesting discussion indeed.

Let's please remember to keep it within the forum rules and not let it get personal, avoiding making specific remarks about other posters. Thanks!

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:47
English to Spanish
Translators can proofread their own translations Oct 2, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

... it's also highly unusual to have the translator proofread their own translation.

Hans

Not true. It is very common. The client DTPs the translation and sends it back as a PDF to the translator to make sure that in the DTP process they did not make any mistakes, like weird word separations, missing periods or parts of the text, etc.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:47
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Terminology Oct 2, 2013

Miguel Carmona wrote:
The client DTPs the translation and sends it back as a PDF to the translator to make sure that in the DTP process they did not make any mistakes, like weird word separations, missing periods or parts of the text, etc.

Very true. That's what I called "subediting" in this thread. This is very common indeed, and very good practice. On the other hand, in my terminology, "editing" is what an editor does (rather than the translator) when comparing the target text with the source text, whereas "proofreading" (proofing) is the work of yet another skilled person who checks the edited target text only. We then get the guys (M/F) of the DTP department, after which somebody - preferably the original translator - "subedits" the text before it's being published/printed. I think we can agree on that. And that's why I said that the first (editing, 40 k words) job we're talking about could have been done within the timeframe the agency mentioned.
And then the entire ProZ choir of pros fell over me.

Cheers,

Hans

Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:47
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so too Oct 2, 2013

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Meta Arkadia wrote:

... it's also highly unusual to have the translator proofread their own translation.

Hans

Not true. It is very common. The client DTPs the translation and sends it back as a PDF to the translator to make sure that in the DTP process they did not make any mistakes, like weird word separations, missing periods or parts of the text, etc.

Hello Miguel,

Thank you for specifying this.
I really thought this was the case with the 4000 words project.
If you are interested, please read my final response to Hans. That should close the argument. Or maybe not.

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delete please Oct 2, 2013

Replied to the wrong post.
I apologize.

[Edited at 2013-10-02 21:38 GMT]

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not all agencies work the same apparently Oct 2, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

NinonD wrote:
Now if you still think I am wrong, very very wrong, tell me how an agency can have multiple editors, revisers and proofreaders check the material I translated within 18 hours before sending it back to me for a "final" reading.

That's an easy one. On average:
- Editing 4,000 words @ 1,000 w/h = 4 hours
- Proofing 4,000 words @ 2,000 w/h = 2 hours
- PDF-ing 2 hours
Total 8 hours
If they think their editor is excellent, they may have skipped the proofing part (since you are going to do the subediting anyway) which would reduce the total time to 6 hours, well within the 18 hours you mentioned.

You're only not very, very wrong if the text and the lay-out of the PDF are exactly the same as in the file you handed in as the translation. In that case, the agency is nuts, and you shouldn't have accepted the job because of the crazy and cruel first job offer they made you.

Cheers,

Hans

Hans,

I wrote a lenghty response to this post yesterday. But decided to not hit the *Post reply* button, as I knew it kind was useless since you would likely find something else to validate your points and show all of us that you are never wrong.

So right after I deleted my reply, I decided to emailed my client directly and ask about their post-editing processes regarding to my work. We have a good rapport; they pay well and all their PMs are nice people. I got an email back today.

Basically I was told that the PDFs I received were my original translation, and that "no one touches my translations". The reasons behind this are unknown to me right now, but that is besides de point.

Hopefully (!?) this will close this particular matter for good this time!

Have a great evening (or morning) everyone, and thank you to everyone who took time to read.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed regarding a RUSH large editing project

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »