A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are you planning to buy an iPad for your business?
Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugália
Local time: 03:51
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
No Sep 1, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

I work OR I am mobile, not both at the same time!

Same here!

Bertrand Malingrey
Bertrand Malingrey  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 22:51
angol - francia
+ ...
tried it - and it's a no for me Sep 1, 2010

I tried one recently and didn't know what to do with it. Ended up playing a game so I'll say it's a nice little gadget with not much use appart from collecting finger bacteria from your friends and doing non-work stuff.

It's fine for reading the news, but I think the good old newspaper still has many uses the Ipad doesn't have, as the video explains (in french but no french required)<
... See more
I tried one recently and didn't know what to do with it. Ended up playing a game so I'll say it's a nice little gadget with not much use appart from collecting finger bacteria from your friends and doing non-work stuff.

It's fine for reading the news, but I think the good old newspaper still has many uses the Ipad doesn't have, as the video explains (in french but no french required)
http://www.hodiho.fr/2010/04/lipad-selon-groland.html
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexikó
Local time: 20:51
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - spanyol
+ ...
Not for me Sep 1, 2010

Consumerism is not my choice.

..perhaps in some 6 years when they decrease its current obscene cost

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:51
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - német
I'd love to have one but not for business Sep 1, 2010

Since I love gadgets and everything Apple, I would love to have one to play around. However, I do not see how it could be useful for my business. My laptop is quite fine for that.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:51
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - spanyol
+ ...

MODERÁTOR
Won one Sep 1, 2010

My husband won an iPad at some IT event a couple of months ago
I have not not found a single way in which my iPad could help my business
I do admit, though, that it's great fun, specially when stuck at airports.

[Edited at 2010-09-01 13:55 GMT]

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Makaó
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - kínai
+ ...
Obscene profits!!! Sep 1, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Consumerism is not my choice.

..perhaps in some 6 years when they decrease its current obscene cost

Good point! One thing that really turns me off about Apple is the fact that how little Foxconn (a Taiwanese company) pays its workers in Shenzhen, China. Foxconn manufactures all the Apple products from iPhone to iPad as far as I know. A couple of months ago it was big news here in China that more than ten workers killed themselves in a Foxconn factory within a few weeks time due to work-related stress and low wages. The costs of making an iPhone, reportedly, are 12 USD!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazília
Local time: 23:51
portugál - angol
+ ...
Not now... Sep 1, 2010

I just recently bought a MacBook Pro, so I couldn't afford an iPad. In any case, I doubt I'd use it for business. I've been considering the idea of using it as an e-reader (among other things), but haven't come to any conclusions about that. It's bigger than regular e-readers, but on the other hand there are lots of other things you can do with it that you can't with an e-reader. Was thinking of getting a Kindle (sorry, I'm straying a bit off-subject here!), but now I'm seeing all these bookstor... See more
I just recently bought a MacBook Pro, so I couldn't afford an iPad. In any case, I doubt I'd use it for business. I've been considering the idea of using it as an e-reader (among other things), but haven't come to any conclusions about that. It's bigger than regular e-readers, but on the other hand there are lots of other things you can do with it that you can't with an e-reader. Was thinking of getting a Kindle (sorry, I'm straying a bit off-subject here!), but now I'm seeing all these bookstores in Brazil coming out with their own e-readers, so I'm undecided. Don't have much time to think about it, anyway! Collapse

Carmen Cuervo-Arango
Carmen Cuervo-Arango  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 04:51
angol - spanyol
+ ...
Not even a mobile phone Sep 1, 2010

I have never had a mobile phone... imagine an iPad.

I spent most of the day (and of my life) in front of a PC. When I want to relax, go on holidays, meet my friends, go to the mountains or to the seaside I just don't want any interruptions! It seems it is becoming compulsory to be always connected and available, but why? And things are becoming harder and harder because nowadays you are required to give a phone number in order to register for several services. Sometimes I have been
... See more
I have never had a mobile phone... imagine an iPad.

I spent most of the day (and of my life) in front of a PC. When I want to relax, go on holidays, meet my friends, go to the mountains or to the seaside I just don't want any interruptions! It seems it is becoming compulsory to be always connected and available, but why? And things are becoming harder and harder because nowadays you are required to give a phone number in order to register for several services. Sometimes I have been denied registration, but I don't give up.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 03:51
angol - arab
+ ...
Too gimmicky Sep 1, 2010

Bertrand Malingrey wrote:
It's fine for reading the news, but I think the good old newspaper still has many uses the Ipad doesn't have, as the video explains (in french but no french required)
http://www.hodiho.fr/2010/04/lipad-selon-groland.html

Nice one Bertrand!

I've had access to an iPad and agree with colleagues that it may be a fun gadget, for playing games, viewing pictures, reading papers, but not exactly the most practical thing for work, at least the type of work we do.

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you planning to buy an iPad for your business?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »