Off topic: Are Translators Normal?
Thread poster: Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Local time: 00:31
Polish to English
Feb 2, 2010

In the past I have noticed that when I've mentioned that I'm a translator and that I work from home I get a strange look from my interlocutor. This still happens today and I'm pretty sure it will continue to happen in the future. People seem to think translators are strange, that freelance translation work is not 'normal'. A post on http://transubstantiation.wordpress.com/ kind of backed up my id... See more
In the past I have noticed that when I've mentioned that I'm a translator and that I work from home I get a strange look from my interlocutor. This still happens today and I'm pretty sure it will continue to happen in the future. People seem to think translators are strange, that freelance translation work is not 'normal'. A post on http://transubstantiation.wordpress.com/ kind of backed up my ideas. The question begs, are we - translators - normal?Collapse

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Or a housewife Feb 2, 2010

Since I'm a female, many people says me "Ah you're a translator, so you're a housewife"...
In Italy this happens...

Silvia

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
Local time: 23:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same in Portugal... Feb 2, 2010

Silvia, the same happens in Portugal. If you're at home you're either a housewife or you are simply unemployed but refuse to say so...

Even my youngest son (5 years old) seems to think all I do is sit in front of the computer and play...

We are truly misunderstood and we actually work harder than most people who do not work from home...

Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
At home doing nothing Feb 2, 2010

So true. That's what most people seem to think.
What can we do about it?
Original article: http://transubstantiation.wordpress.com/

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
true everywhere Feb 2, 2010

oxygen4u wrote:

Silvia, the same happens in Portugal. If you're at home you're either a housewife or you are simply unemployed but refuse to say so...

Even my youngest son (5 years old) seems to think all I do is sit in front of the computer and play...

We are truly misunderstood and we actually work harder than most people who do not work from home...

The same can be said in France. Most people think I only translate to keep busy between two house chores / school runs... it's hard to make people understand it's a real full-time job and just because you're working from home doesn't mean it can't be serious...

But I was happy the other day when my eldest (9), who was doing an exercise at school where he had to name five different jobs wrote, along with fireman and doctor, "translator"!! (and forgot to name his dad's job )...

Have a nice working day, at home

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:31
English to Latvian
+ ...
Translators are as normal as other people Feb 2, 2010

The answer is very simple: many people are just not able to think outside the box...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Really? Feb 2, 2010

oxygen4u wrote:

My experience of living in Portugal is quite the opposite. At least, no-one I've met has ever adopted such a regressive attitude. In fact, homeworking in my town is quite a common thing.

Our top-floor apartments all have 70m² lofts and all of my neighbours have converted their lofts into office space -- there is an accountant, a draughtsman and a lawyer working from their home office in my building alone. Males and females.

Telecommuting, e-commuting, e-work, telework, working at home (WAH), or working from home (WFH) -- call it what you like -- is gaining ground, even in this backwater of Europe.

Back to the original question, it's simply up to us to set the record straight if confronted by ignorance.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
We are different Feb 2, 2010

in th sense that we have a burning interest in what we are doing, a blessing that can't be said about most people.

We are passionately intrested in words, phrases, sounds, spelling and syntax.
Most people are not. In that sense we are not normal.

On the other hand, in all other respects we are surely as normal as most people.

Mats

Normal Swede

[Edited at 2010-02-02
... See more
in th sense that we have a burning interest in what we are doing, a blessing that can't be said about most people.

We are passionately intrested in words, phrases, sounds, spelling and syntax.
Most people are not. In that sense we are not normal.

On the other hand, in all other respects we are surely as normal as most people.

Mats

Normal Swede

[Edited at 2010-02-02 14:20 GMT]
Collapse

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:31
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Normality in modern society Feb 2, 2010

Sureky the answer depends on what is regarded normal in the modern society.

Judging by the values promoted (not declared, but promoted by media and encouraged by governments), a "normal" citizen should be law-obedient, non-thinking taxpayer and insatiable consumer ready to sacrifice his or her own interests for the sake of... what? Nobody tells me that.

A "normal" citizen gets education, find him/herself a job and retires at the proper age. In my country the usual vacat
... See more
Sureky the answer depends on what is regarded normal in the modern society.

Judging by the values promoted (not declared, but promoted by media and encouraged by governments), a "normal" citizen should be law-obedient, non-thinking taxpayer and insatiable consumer ready to sacrifice his or her own interests for the sake of... what? Nobody tells me that.

A "normal" citizen gets education, find him/herself a job and retires at the proper age. In my country the usual vacation is 21 days a year. That means that a "normal" employee will have some three years to himself or herself during the entire lifetime - three years for all things we have been dreaming of having done; for all places we've been dreaming of visiting...

If that is what normality is like, I'm happy to be abnormal! =)
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are translators normal? Feb 2, 2010

I'd say the weirdo rate amongst translators is approximately the same as in other professions.

I know that in the United States bilingual people are highly regarded. Speak three languages and you'll be seen as a demi-god. Make a living with translation? What? Never thought of it.

Actually, from my American perspective, it seems strange that translatiion is seen as a lower form of work by so many people in Europe. Perhaps that is because they have 37 gazillion languages
... See more
I'd say the weirdo rate amongst translators is approximately the same as in other professions.

I know that in the United States bilingual people are highly regarded. Speak three languages and you'll be seen as a demi-god. Make a living with translation? What? Never thought of it.

Actually, from my American perspective, it seems strange that translatiion is seen as a lower form of work by so many people in Europe. Perhaps that is because they have 37 gazillion languages, none of which is dominant over very large areas.
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Rather like professional musicians Feb 2, 2010

What DO they do for a living?

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
Translators are not taken seriously Feb 2, 2010

Well, I certainly consider myself "normal" although this is of course a question of perspective...

What I encounter more often than not though is that I am not taken seriously. I work at home so I have all the time in the world to do housework and all the other things women are supposed to do. Moreover, I can simply take time off to do other people's chores...
In addition, I "only" translate from English which most people in Germany/Austria think they can speak anyway so what
... See more
Well, I certainly consider myself "normal" although this is of course a question of perspective...

What I encounter more often than not though is that I am not taken seriously. I work at home so I have all the time in the world to do housework and all the other things women are supposed to do. Moreover, I can simply take time off to do other people's chores...
In addition, I "only" translate from English which most people in Germany/Austria think they can speak anyway so what is it I actually do all day?

@Edward
That's why I love the Americans... In the States people think my language skills are great whereas in Europe I "just" speak English, no big deal...
Collapse

Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Weirdo Rate Feb 2, 2010

Edward,

I love the idea of a weirdo rate, but I have to say that in my experience, our community is full of weirdoes.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's right... Feb 2, 2010

Oleg, you said it all!

Liz

Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
More or less Feb 2, 2010

It's true some people consider it not a "proper" job, but something to do to gain some extra cents. When I find ex-colleagues of mine (I was a journalist before) and say that now I am a translator they go like: "What? A translator? But you were such a good journalist!" And then they say: "Give me your contact. I have some texts I need to get translated". And when I say that I translate into Portuguese and not into English, the deception is even greater in their faces. "Poor girl", they must thin... See more
It's true some people consider it not a "proper" job, but something to do to gain some extra cents. When I find ex-colleagues of mine (I was a journalist before) and say that now I am a translator they go like: "What? A translator? But you were such a good journalist!" And then they say: "Give me your contact. I have some texts I need to get translated". And when I say that I translate into Portuguese and not into English, the deception is even greater in their faces. "Poor girl", they must think. Needless to say they never send me those translations

I also think that working from home is more and more common, and not only in the translation field. My husband too works from home (IT). So, as far as working from home is concerned, I think the general perception is changing and being regarded as "normal".

Cristina
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are Translators Normal?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »