Egor Vakhnitsky
Egor Vakhnitsky
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2023

Hi there,

Yesterday I failed to authenticate so I stupidly decided to update my Across to the latest version but failed as it only runs on Windows 8 (I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop). Now I can't install the previous version that I was (un-)happily working with previously (the downgrade is not allowed). I removed the application together with all the Across and CodeMeter folders from the C: drive but it didn't help. Any suggestions (Registry, anything else)?

Tha
... See more
Hi there,

Yesterday I failed to authenticate so I stupidly decided to update my Across to the latest version but failed as it only runs on Windows 8 (I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop). Now I can't install the previous version that I was (un-)happily working with previously (the downgrade is not allowed). I removed the application together with all the Across and CodeMeter folders from the C: drive but it didn't help. Any suggestions (Registry, anything else)?

Thanks,
Egor
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:43
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Former version? Apr 12, 2023

Before the update, which was the Across version you were (un-)happily working with?

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:43
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Restore Apr 12, 2023

Egor Vakhnitsky wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks,
Egor

Can't you restore from a backup to the day before yesterday?

Egor Vakhnitsky
Egor Vakhnitsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Apr 12, 2023

Hi Jorge, it was Across 7.0 14650.

Hi Wolfgang, no I can't. Will have to reinstall the OS in the worst case.

Egor Vakhnitsky
Egor Vakhnitsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Apr 13, 2023

There is no solution. You have to update Across to the latest version in order to authenticate. So, Windows 7 is not an option anymore.

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
Windows 7 Apr 13, 2023

Hello Egor,

Why do you want to use Windows 7 in 2023?
It is quite outdated and out of support. So I even not sure if it runs okay on the modern hardware.

Are there any special things in Windows 7?

Egor Vakhnitsky
Egor Vakhnitsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 Apr 14, 2023

Hi Vorchuchelo, there wasn't anything special about this OS. It worked just fine and let me use most of the modern CAT tools even on my ancient laptop urgently taken with me to Turkey last September.

Actually, the only reason I had to install Windows 7 in addition to Windows XP to my PC back in 2018 was exactly Across. It looks like my relatively short Windows 7 journey is over.

[Edited at 2023-04-14 19:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across Downgrade

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »