Thread poster: adrienneiii
adrienneiii
adrienneiii
United States
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2014

Hello there, I would like to test the SR approach, and I wonder if anyone can suggest the best way to go about it with low upfront costs. (If it proves effective, of course, I'd be prepared to spend the necessary amounts on high-end hard- and software.)

I know, for instance, that there is a 30-day money back policy on DNS. But I currently use Trados Studio 2011 on a Mac using a VMWare Fusion virtual desktop. My Mac has only 8GB of memory and my main concern would be that this is to
... See more
Hello there, I would like to test the SR approach, and I wonder if anyone can suggest the best way to go about it with low upfront costs. (If it proves effective, of course, I'd be prepared to spend the necessary amounts on high-end hard- and software.)

I know, for instance, that there is a 30-day money back policy on DNS. But I currently use Trados Studio 2011 on a Mac using a VMWare Fusion virtual desktop. My Mac has only 8GB of memory and my main concern would be that this is too little to permit adequate testing. At the same time, I'm not too excited about the prospect of buying a new, cutting-edge computer only to find out that SR doesn't work for me (fast typer, but developing wrist problems).

In summary - will 8GB RAM be sufficient to reasonably test the performance of DNS with Trados 2011 via a virtual desktop?

Any opinions very much appreciated!
Collapse

Tom Hamilton
Tom Hamilton
Local time: 12:57
English
DNS Hardware Feb 14, 2014

Sufficient; yes. Ideal; no. I would recommend using Bootcamp so that you can dedicate the entire 8 Gb of RAM to your work. If you're using virtual memory, you're splitting your RAM between Windows and the Mac OS which is leaving you 4 Gb of RAM and that is minimal. I would additionally recommend purchasing Dragon from a company that includes complimentary training and lifetime support. This leaves out the manufacturer.

Tom Hamilton - KnowBrainer.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hardware for DNS and Trados 2011

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »