Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How do you tackle revising/reviewing poorly translated texts?
Thread poster: Hayley Wakenshaw
Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 00:13
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
possible replies Nov 3, 2023

If am in such a situation of having to review a poor translation, my response will be
1. I am not available now.
2. Inform the customer that you are focusing on translations only at this point in time, so not doing reviews/revisions anymore.
3. modify the rate to more worthwhile in view of the work involved, having seen so many jobs from this client. So the ball is in their court now.
4. If this is the only type of job you get from the client, review how expendable they
... See more
If am in such a situation of having to review a poor translation, my response will be
1. I am not available now.
2. Inform the customer that you are focusing on translations only at this point in time, so not doing reviews/revisions anymore.
3. modify the rate to more worthwhile in view of the work involved, having seen so many jobs from this client. So the ball is in their court now.
4. If this is the only type of job you get from the client, review how expendable they are, if you have other better paying customer.
BTW, Recently I received a circular from an agency that since they are going to bill their clients once at the end of the month, so the translators can expect payment one month after that. ( total 2 months at least). I have written off that agency immediately, no more working for them.
We are in business for the income on a timely basis. The agency may have any billing policy as a goodwill to their clients, but that should not impact the translators. so #3 above is more appropriate in your situation.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 07:13
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Nov 3, 2023

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:
I’m interested to know what other language professionals would do.

If you have a word rate and you don't want to or can't offer an hourly rate, you could try to explain that the amount of work you have with these editing tasks no longer reflects your word rate, and that you will have to raise your rate if they want you to keep working on it.

Every decent agency will accept that and will either change translators or will accept your new rate.

Michele Fauble
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
My approach Nov 9, 2023

I'm not assertive enough to not get shafted with these kinds of jobs so I just don't accept editing or reviewing work. Like you, I have had bad experiences in the past.

I just say 'I don't offer editing' or some variation on that. I've never felt that this has affected my relationship with my translation customers - it's up to me to decide what services to offer.

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki
Michele Fauble

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you tackle revising/reviewing poorly translated texts?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »