google translate translation
Thread poster: Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 09:26
Icelandic to English
Apr 21, 2022

What do translators charge for this service.?

Alex Ossa
Alex Ossa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:26
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google is just another MT - apply normal PEMT practice Apr 21, 2022

The quality of MTs varies across languages and subjects, you can't apply a standard fee. My PEMT rates can vary from 20% to 60%-ish depending on the quality of the MT, which I determine by asking for a sample or I just know because it's a client I've worked with multiple times before. If it's really bad quality or the quality varies significantly throughout the text, I apply my hourly fee, otherwise I'd either be losing out myself or having to overcharge the client, neither of which is a great o... See more
The quality of MTs varies across languages and subjects, you can't apply a standard fee. My PEMT rates can vary from 20% to 60%-ish depending on the quality of the MT, which I determine by asking for a sample or I just know because it's a client I've worked with multiple times before. If it's really bad quality or the quality varies significantly throughout the text, I apply my hourly fee, otherwise I'd either be losing out myself or having to overcharge the client, neither of which is a great outcome.Collapse

Daniel Teague
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Daniel Teague
Daniel Teague  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 09:26
Icelandic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Alex. Apr 21, 2022

You took the words out my mouth!

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
Google translate Apr 22, 2022

One issue which I am coming across from time to time is a client who says: "Your translation says this, but Google Translate says this". In one case it was transliteration of a Japanese name (transliterating Japanese names can be a thorny prospect as there are so many variations). In this case, the Japanese name was transliterated by a native speaker. The client insisted on the Google version. I insisted on the native speaker's version. I never heard from this client again. One client said "I ca... See more
One issue which I am coming across from time to time is a client who says: "Your translation says this, but Google Translate says this". In one case it was transliteration of a Japanese name (transliterating Japanese names can be a thorny prospect as there are so many variations). In this case, the Japanese name was transliterated by a native speaker. The client insisted on the Google version. I insisted on the native speaker's version. I never heard from this client again. One client said "I can get a better translation from Google Translate". These google-maniacs are a pox on the translation profession.Collapse

Walter Landesman
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Jo Macdonald
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
polishedwords

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

google translate translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »