Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:46
Serbian to English
+ ...
Typing what exactly? Jan 2, 2022

What do you mean by "just typing"?

Typing a from a handwritten text or from a paper document or from a screen display just what's there, exactly as it is, without checking/changing anything - that would be my understanding of "just typing".

Unless you can elaborate in which way would "just typing" involve more than blindly typing any given text exactly as it, the only answer to your question is that your question has nothing to do with this site - if it's the kin
... See more

Typing a from a handwritten text or from a paper document or from a screen display just what's there, exactly as it is, without checking/changing anything - that would be my understanding of "just typing".

Unless you can elaborate in which way would "just typing" involve more than blindly typing any given text exactly as it, the only answer to your question is that your question has nothing to do with this site - if it's the kind of "just typing" you have in mind, you are asking on the wrong site.
Collapse

Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 16:46
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Daryo Jan 2, 2022

Daryo wrote:

Unless you can elaborate in which way would "just typing" involve more than blindly typing any given text exactly as it, the only answer to your question is that your question has nothing to do with this site - if it's the kind of "just typing" you have in mind, you are asking on the wrong site.

What a typist does is well-known, just say I do not know or ignore the issue.
If I found the more suitable site for this inquiry, I would not ask here.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Depends Jan 2, 2022

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

250 words per minute? You must mean 250 characters per minute for sure...

I am looking for how much a typist would charge when they type 250 words.

Depends on the country. Not much.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nothing wrong with "just typing" Jan 2, 2022

Daryo wrote:

I don't really see anything wrong with the question as we are often asked as translators to provide other services as well. I recently did two typing projects of my own, which involved typing material from a PDF into a Word document for the client. Sorry, however, that I can't really offer advice on rates since it might depend on various things, such as how complicated the text is (for example, Arabic with a lot of vowelling, or bad handwriting in a handwritten document). Maybe just test yourself a little to determine how much time the project will take you, and then decide on a reasonable per-hour or per-word rate (although typing is usually charged by the page, as you indicated). If the client wants you in particular to do the work because of some special skill or expertise you have (or because of the good relationship you have together), then it will be easier for you to set the rate you want.

Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:46
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Daryo and @Lamine Jan 3, 2022

Daryo wrote:

Well, firstly, translators do hire typists (well, some of them do... e.g. to type up editable source text), so translators would be one group of people who can tell what typists typically charge. Secondly, since translators often do more than one type of task (e.g. both translation and proofreading, or both translation and DTP, or both translation and creative writing, etc.), some translators may offer typing as a service.

When I hire a typist (e.g. to retype a scanned or faxed source text), I'm willing to pay them half of my proofreading rate per word. So, if my proofreading rate for a certain client is 2c per word, I'm willing to pay the typist 1c per word. Note that when I pay a typist, I expect 99% accuracy. I expect (but don't require) a typing speed of about 80-100 words per minute.

There may be a slight problem in the calculation, but you have to figure out how to deal with it: traditionally, a "word" in typist land is 5 keystrokes, whereas a "word" in translator land is not a defined number of characters or keystrokes (in both my source and target languages, a "word" is typically 6.5 characters long, including space). On the other hand, I have found that many typists these days simply use Word's word count feature, which bypasses the problem entirely.

As for your question of daily productivity, that is difficult to tell, because it depends on the type of text and how much formatting is required. One must not confuse a typist's typing speed with productivity. The official typing speed is simply the speed at which the typist types if they don't need to do anything else and do not take any breaks, i.e. what some might call the burst speed. A typing speed of 100 words per minute doesn't equate to 100 x 60 x 8 (48000) words per day.

[Edited at 2022-01-03 08:34 GMT]

Christine Andersen
MollyRose
Kevin Fulton

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typing Productivity and Rate

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »