Florence Risser
France
Local time: 04:30
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
Oct 19, 2021

Hello everyone,
What would you do if you discover that your translation has been proofread / changed with mistakes and is now published like this ?
I didn't translate it like this, and I can't accept that it is published (on website) with obvious mistakes.
Tell my client (who is not the final client) ? And they will have to apologize to their own client and change the website.
And of course I'm very disappointed to see the modified translation.

Thanks... See more
Hello everyone,
What would you do if you discover that your translation has been proofread / changed with mistakes and is now published like this ?
I didn't translate it like this, and I can't accept that it is published (on website) with obvious mistakes.
Tell my client (who is not the final client) ? And they will have to apologize to their own client and change the website.
And of course I'm very disappointed to see the modified translation.

Thanks
Florence
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
If it has no visible link to you Oct 19, 2021

Shrug and chuckle

Who cares what clients do with our work? Their mistakes, their problem.

Abba Storgen (X)
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Fabrice Ndie
Dalia Nour
John Fossey
Tom in London
Joe France

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It is maddening, but it happens Oct 19, 2021

As long as no one can link your name to it, the best thing to do is close your eyes and try to forget it. Everything can be said in several ways, and some are more elegant and correct than others. It is the client's text, and they have paid for it, so in principle they can do what they like.

However, you should keep e-mails or other records of what you delivered, if there is any chance of complaints.
I have at least once had an end client on the phone asking what I meant by de
... See more
As long as no one can link your name to it, the best thing to do is close your eyes and try to forget it. Everything can be said in several ways, and some are more elegant and correct than others. It is the client's text, and they have paid for it, so in principle they can do what they like.

However, you should keep e-mails or other records of what you delivered, if there is any chance of complaints.
I have at least once had an end client on the phone asking what I meant by delivering the text he received. After calming him down and getting hold of the text he was talking about, I was able to show him it was very different from what I really delivered. Then he apologised, and we agreed on a final version. (There was some extra space to fill in a catalogue and we added a little more text.)
If you do it diplomatically, you may be lucky and earn some goodwill.

The problem arises if you are asked to translate an update the next year or whenever. In that case I would point out that my version was changed, and that I did not agree with the changes, so the new translation will revert to the correct form.
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Esther Dodo
Eduardo Vera Palomino
Mr. Satan (X)
Tom in London
Alison Jenner
Yuri Larin

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stuff happens. Oct 19, 2021

C'est la vie.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It feels awful Oct 20, 2021

I know, it feels awful, because which of us wouldn't like to see our translation nicely posted on a site?

Now you can't even mention it in your portfolio!

You can write a final letter to the client, very serious, explaning that there are REALLY, REALLY mistakes in that text and that it doesn't look professional, that this will also damage their reputation.

I once checked the website of a couple friends who made jewelry. It was in Spanish and translated to E
... See more
I know, it feels awful, because which of us wouldn't like to see our translation nicely posted on a site?

You can write a final letter to the client, very serious, explaning that there are REALLY, REALLY mistakes in that text and that it doesn't look professional, that this will also damage their reputation.

I once checked the website of a couple friends who made jewelry. It was in Spanish and translated to English (I didn't translate the website), I found several mistakes and told them. I was not doing any proofreading job or charging them, I was just reading the text. As they wanted to export their products to English-speaking countries, they were concerned and made the changes. They were very thankful to me... I was rewarded with a lovely necklace!

Good luck!
Collapse

Philip Lees
Robert Rietvelt

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't lose any sleep Oct 20, 2021

The customer is always right - even when they're wrong.

Florence Risser
Min Xuanping
Robert Rietvelt
Kristina SAT
Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Florence Risser
Florence Risser
France
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No link to my name Oct 20, 2021

Christine Andersen wrote:

I have at least once had an end client on the phone asking what I meant by delivering the text he received. After calming him down and getting hold of the text he was talking about, I was able to show him it was very different from what I really delivered. Then he apologised, and we agreed on a final version. (There was some extra space to fill in a catalogue and we added a little more text.)
If you do it diplomatically, you may be lucky and earn some goodwill.

The problem arises if you are asked to translate an update the next year or whenever. In that case I would point out that my version was changed, and that I did not agree with the changes, so the new translation will revert to the correct form.

Thanks, no there is no link to me and I have my original translation, that I transmitted to my client.

Florence Risser
Florence Risser
France
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No mention in portfolio! Oct 20, 2021

[quote]Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Thanks for your advice.
Really not possible to mention in portfolio!
I will perhaps send an email to the end client to tell him that I have seen mistakes in his website. Not sure yet, if I will do it...

Min Xuanping
Min Xuanping  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mutual trust and being tolerant. Oct 20, 2021

The client is solely responsible for quality control. Translators and reviewers should have maximum mutual respect on each other's work. I always accept any changes to my translation during finalization as long as their changes only relate to style. Different translators have different style preference. You must forget about your style preference when your job is proofread by a reviewer who is trusted by the client.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What's new Oct 20, 2021

I notify the client. If their response is negative, I'll let them know that I don't accept any responsibility, it is not 'my translation' anymore. So, if there is a complaint, don't call me.

Tom in London
Thayenga
Georgi Kovachev
Philip Lees
Angie Garbarino

Florence Risser
Florence Risser
France
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grammar mistakes Oct 20, 2021

Min Xuanping wrote:

The client is solely responsible for quality control. Translators and reviewers should have maximum mutual respect on each other's work. I always accept any changes to my translation during finalization as long as their changes only relate to style. Different translators have different style preference. You must forget about your style preference when your job is proofread by a reviewer who is trusted by the client.

I agree, there must be a lot of mutual respect between translators and proofreaders. I don't mind if sentences have been changed for style. But there are now grammar mistakes and a whole paragraphe is translated with "he", when we are talking about a woman.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Florence Oct 20, 2021

I hope my experience serves you right. Some years ago a similar case happened to me and like you I was extremely disappointed. As a result I emailed the client (luckily very politely) saying that I was surprised to see that my translation had been changed with a few grammar mistakes. Much to my dismay I found out that he was the “perpetrator”. He deeply resented my intrusion in his affairs…

Diana Obermeyer

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Strongly disagree Oct 20, 2021

There is absolutely NO reason to guarantee even the tiniest bit of respect to undeserving colleagues.

But there is also no reason to contact the client. Lots of favorites, nephews, spouses, concubines/assistants, and even know-it-all CEOs adding their "personal touch" at the very last stage... plenty of opportunities to offend and very little possibility to benefit.

Florence Risser

Florence Risser
Florence Risser
France
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 20, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

I hope my experience serves you right. Some years ago a similar case happened to me and like you I was extremely disappointed. As a result I emailed the client (luckily very politely) saying that I was surprised to see that my translation had been changed with a few grammar mistakes. Much to my dismay I found out that he was the “perpetrator”. He deeply resented my intrusion in his affairs…

Thanks for your message. Maybe my client changed the translation himself, or one of his friend, before giving it to the end client. So, if my client thinks that the translation is perfect, I'm not going to say something else... As said Tom, the customer is always right, even when he's wrong !

Esther Dodo
Tom in London

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:30
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why do you want to mention it in your portfolio in the first place? Oct 21, 2021

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Is it neccessary to list every project you have done in your portfolio? And even if you do list that project in your portfolio, you don't need to list the website that contains your translation that has been ruined by the proofreader. Furthermore, even if you do put that website in your portfolio, no client would really be reviewing that website to screen for the mistakes on it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreader changed my translation with obvious mistakes

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »