Gabriella Alberti
Gabriella Alberti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:17
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2021

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding rates for editing/proofreading and LQA.

I have recently joined a new agency and was recruited as LQA expert and agreed on an hourly rate, however, they're now asking me to provide them with a per word rate which would include both editing and LQA (2 very different tasks in my opinion).

I don't really have a clue as I usually charge per word for editing tasks and hourly for the LQA.

My proofreading/editin
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding rates for editing/proofreading and LQA.

I have recently joined a new agency and was recruited as LQA expert and agreed on an hourly rate, however, they're now asking me to provide them with a per word rate which would include both editing and LQA (2 very different tasks in my opinion).

I don't really have a clue as I usually charge per word for editing tasks and hourly for the LQA.

My proofreading/editing rate is €0.03/sw and the LQA rate I agreed with them is €20/hour.

Any suggestion on how to "translate" those into one unique rate per word, or just how much should I charge?

Thanks!
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
The hourly is low Aug 30, 2021

In my experience, clients use 1000 words and 1 hour as interchangeable equivalents and treat editing/revision/proofreading/LQA/etc as also-interchangeable terms for second stages of the translation process in CAT tools (what MemoQ calls the "Review 1" role)

[Edited at 2021-08-30 00:18 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

Gabriella Alberti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But are they really interchangeable? Aug 30, 2021

The agency said:
Edit + LQA is a proofreading/review of the whole project + LQA (scorecard) on a sample of 1.5k words.

So, to me, editing is proofreading, whereas LQA is proposing alternatives to the translation while flagging errors and styleguides inconsistencies, not the "review 1" stage on MQ.

I agree 20€ is possibly low for this, but my question was a bit different. How much would you charge for these 2 tasks? They want both absorbed in the per word rate.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gabriella Aug 30, 2021

Gabriella Alberti wrote:
They're now asking me to provide them with a per word rate which would include both editing and LQA (2 very different tasks in my opinion).

It is impossible to have a per-word rate for LQA.

Gabriella Alberti
Heike Holthaus
Elisa Navetta Mason
Philippe Etienne

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Don't allow upstream risks to be offloaded on you Aug 30, 2021

Gabriella Alberti wrote:
Any suggestion on how to "translate" those into one unique rate per word

There is no way you can do that in advance as it depends on the specifics of the project, most particularly (but not exclusively) on the quality of the translation.

By pressuring you to accept a word rate, the agency is trying to offload their own entrepreneurial risk on you (while presumably not giving you any say in the management of those risks, e.g. the selection of translators).

Accepting such an arrangement is a recipe for grief down the road.

Apart from that, the hourly rate mentioned doesn't strike me as anything close to what would get you a fair living wage in any European country considering all expenses you have to cover as a freelancer, but that is a separate issue.

Heike Holthaus
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
An hour of my time is an hour of my time Aug 30, 2021

I can usually find fully paid work to do in my time, so I charge the same hourly rate, whatever the job is.

If that is too expensive for the client, because they think the job is too easy to justify the rate, then they can find someone who is less qualified for other things.
That is why normal employers do not ask the CEO and senior executives to clean their own offices and make the coffee!

I have spent years cleaning and cooking and doing jobs requiring no parti
... See more
I can usually find fully paid work to do in my time, so I charge the same hourly rate, whatever the job is.

If that is too expensive for the client, because they think the job is too easy to justify the rate, then they can find someone who is less qualified for other things.
That is why normal employers do not ask the CEO and senior executives to clean their own offices and make the coffee!

I have spent years cleaning and cooking and doing jobs requiring no particular qualifications, and worked my way up. The pay has to be different too.
So tell clients, if you feel like that, and make them pay for your time. It is not really their business if you prefer to talk to your children, get some fresh air or whatever in your time.

Charge what you can earn in an hour doing the work you have most of.
Editing and LQA require specific skills and experience, so the pay should reflect the skills and effort required.

[Edited at 2021-08-30 12:48 GMT]
Collapse

Heike Holthaus
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Marianne Larivé

Gabriella Alberti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not my only client luckily Aug 30, 2021

Endre Both wrote:

Apart from that, the hourly rate mentioned doesn't strike me as anything close to what would get you a fair living wage in any European country considering all expenses you have to cover as a freelancer, but that is a separate issue.

I agreed on this rate as when they had me take a test LQA, it seemed like there was less work to do (they also talked me through how their translations are near-perfection once they get to me), but after the first assignment, it was clear it was not, so I haven't really accepted any other job from them and then they came up with this request.

I work more and better with other LSPs which grant me a decent monthly salary.

I guess I will just have to tell them I can't convert my rate or give them a rate higher than my translation per word rate.

Christine Andersen
Heike Holthaus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Edit + LQA per word rate?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »