Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2021

Good afternoon!

I am a new user of SDL Trados Studio 2021 and I have used Verifika with a temporary license given by a client and I have got now the Xbench 30 days free trial.

I'm not sure if this kind of QA tools are useful. What is the difference between using Trados Verify and Check grammaf functionalities and run the Xbench plugin in Tradis, for example?

I would be very grateful if someone can explain to me why I need a QA tools?

Best rega
... See more
Good afternoon!

I am a new user of SDL Trados Studio 2021 and I have used Verifika with a temporary license given by a client and I have got now the Xbench 30 days free trial.

I'm not sure if this kind of QA tools are useful. What is the difference between using Trados Verify and Check grammaf functionalities and run the Xbench plugin in Tradis, for example?

I would be very grateful if someone can explain to me why I need a QA tools?

Best regards,
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:24
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Various uses for various scenarios Jul 23, 2021

Xbench is used for various purposes.
I don't use it for QA much, but use it to load a bunch of TMs or what not and use those as a dictionary or for concordance search across multiple files.
I can use it to covert files between different formants for various reasons.
I rely mostly on Verifika for QA of large projects and it always catches mistakes that Trados' built-in QA doesn't catch.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Jul 24, 2021

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:

Trados has built-in QA checking, as you may have noticed. Tools like Verifika and Xbench may have additional checks that Trados may not have, or they may be better suited for your language combination or treat glossary matches better than Trados, or may be able to produce better QA reports. But the biggest advantage of external QA tools is that you can get used to and become an expert in a single tool for multiple file types, even if you use (or your clients use) multiple different CAT tools.

External QA tools aren't always better, though. For example, Xbench can't distinguish tracked from untracked text, so when it checks Trados files with tracked changes, it treats the deleted text as being still there, and this results in many false warnings.

Christine Andersen
Karin Seelhof

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:24
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Trados is no better with QA of revised segments Jul 29, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:
External QA tools aren't always better, though. For example, Xbench can't distinguish tracked from untracked text, so when it checks Trados files with tracked changes, it treats the deleted text as being still there, and this results in many false warnings.

If I make a change in a segment and then in an identical segment apply the TM match (instead of making the same change in this segment), then the Trados QA checker complains of inconsistent translation. But the two segments are identical when not showing revisions. Hence, the difference in tracked changes trips up the Trados QA checker, too.

On top of that, the latest build of Studio 2021 does not seem to work well with Xbench. If I press Ctrl+E in Xbench to edit a segment within Trados, the latter throws a series of errors with the message "Operation completed succesfully" (!) and then a final error that says "Out of memory", after which Trados disappears. So, I am back to 2019. Version 2021 has never really worked well for me, and I regret upgrading early (before actual release, which is why they refused to provide a refund). Never again.

[Edited at 2021-07-29 12:24 GMT]

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Some clients provide their own Xbench checklists Jul 29, 2021

Some clients provide their own Xbench checklists. These are used to look for specific issues that the clients want to avoid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Xbench used for?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »