Thread poster: George Rabel
George Rabel
George Rabel  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2013

Greetings,
I have a simple question about a topic that has been bugging me, and for which I have not been able to find an asnwer.
Here it is:
When you write technical instructions in which there are instances of bold text within quotation marks, what should be bolded? Only text within the quotation marks, or the whole thing, including the quotation marks and the periods or commas?

Example:

A) Press "Brightness." If there's a blue check
... See more
Greetings,
I have a simple question about a topic that has been bugging me, and for which I have not been able to find an asnwer.
Here it is:
When you write technical instructions in which there are instances of bold text within quotation marks, what should be bolded? Only text within the quotation marks, or the whole thing, including the quotation marks and the periods or commas?

Example:

A) Press "Brightness." If there's a blue check mark to the left of "Automatic brightness," tap on it to disable this feature.

OR

B ) Press "Brightness." If there's a blue check mark to the left of "Automatic brightness," tap on it to disable this feature.

Common sense and logic tell me that only the text within the quotation marks should be bold, as in option B, but may be there is some rule out there prescribing the opposite.
NOTE: I do not have the option to use either bold type or quotation marks. I must use both, as it is standard practice in the company. What has not been clearly defined is whether the quotation marks themselves must be bolded.
Thank you!
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
My assumption Jun 5, 2013

I think that any adjacent period, comma, etc. is formatted the same as the word that precedes it (i.e., whether that word be bold or italic) but that the quotation marks themselves are to be set in standard font.

I will be interested in a definitive answer here also.

In the particular text you cite, it strikes me that the quotation marks is redundant in conjunction with the use of boldface type....

[Edited at 2013-06-05 14:40 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:27
English to Polish
+ ...
Just the word Jun 9, 2013

Just the word, not the quotation marks, unless the source is consistent in always putting the quotation marks in bold. I would not put the English punctuation that precedes the closing quotation mark in bold. In fact, in examples like you give, e.g. 'Brightness', i.e. just a one-word term, I would not put any punctuation before the closing mark. All the more so considering how no punctuation was used to introduce that quotation.

Thus, it would look like this:

B) Press '
... See more
Just the word, not the quotation marks, unless the source is consistent in always putting the quotation marks in bold. I would not put the English punctuation that precedes the closing quotation mark in bold. In fact, in examples like you give, e.g. 'Brightness', i.e. just a one-word term, I would not put any punctuation before the closing mark. All the more so considering how no punctuation was used to introduce that quotation.

Thus, it would look like this:

B) Press 'Brightness'. If there's a blue check mark to the left of 'Automatic brightness', tap on it to disable this feature.

In American English, I'd opt for double quotation marks unless a relevant style guide provided otherwise, but I still wouldn't put the full stop or the comma inside the quotation marks. Also, I'd probably try to talk the client out of using quotation marks in this situation in the English text, no matter the client's initial opposition. The client's company may be unduly influenced by its own native language and the typography of that language. Some languages insist on wrapping names in quotations (e.g. company names, names of various establishments etc.), which probably rubs off on commands and options available in software, but if it depended me (for example because I worked directly for the client rather than an agency working for an agency that worked for an MLV), there'd be no quotation marks there but only the bold font alone.

Thus:

B) Press Brightness. If there's a blue check mark to the left of Automatic brightness, tap on it to disable this feature.

[Edited at 2013-06-09 02:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-09 02:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of bold text within quotation marks

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »