SHimsley
SHimsley
Italy
Local time: 10:38
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2011

Hi all,

I am an Australian just recently moved to Brno, Czech Republic. I am very interested in working as a proofreader here, but I am not sure where to begin.

English is my native language, and all my studies and work have concentrated on English-related fields. I have an extensive history and keen interest in the intelligent presentation and considerate reception of literature. My reading and writing skills are well advanced, and throughout my studies both at seconda
... See more
Hi all,

I am an Australian just recently moved to Brno, Czech Republic. I am very interested in working as a proofreader here, but I am not sure where to begin.

English is my native language, and all my studies and work have concentrated on English-related fields. I have an extensive history and keen interest in the intelligent presentation and considerate reception of literature. My reading and writing skills are well advanced, and throughout my studies both at secondary and tertiary level I have developed skills pertinent to the transmission of written information. These include the efficient collation, comprehension and transcription of information whether from oral, written, or a combination of sources.

Basically, I really enjoy reading and writing, and I would love to work proofreading or editing. I wonder if anybody here can point me in the right direction to start off?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I look forward to your advice, and any other feedback.

Best wishes,

Stephanie

[Edited at 2011-07-07 13:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-07 13:48 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:38
Czech to English
+ ...
Do you speak Czech? Jul 7, 2011

Hello Stephanie,

There are two kinds of proofreaders in the Czech Republic.

The first group is made up of those who barely speak a word of Czech but can write very nice English. They often find part-time work directly from companies, and re-write stuff that sounds more natural, but does not necessarily follow the original as it should (not a good idea for legal texts, for example, but not so bad say in marketing).

Then there are those people who do speak
... See more
Hello Stephanie,

There are two kinds of proofreaders in the Czech Republic.

The first group is made up of those who barely speak a word of Czech but can write very nice English. They often find part-time work directly from companies, and re-write stuff that sounds more natural, but does not necessarily follow the original as it should (not a good idea for legal texts, for example, but not so bad say in marketing).

Then there are those people who do speak Czech. A good proofreader should know the language the text has been translated from. They can find work either directly as before or from translation agencies, since translations into English are often done by Czechs - this can be alright if the translator is good, but sometimes you'll find it's horrible and you've no idea what they were trying to say.

If you fall into the first category, I'm not so sure proz.com is the best place for you to look. I suggest expat websites where jobs do sometimes appear (or at least they did when I lived there). However, there are many native English speakers in the Czech Republic (Prague especially) who write and are looking for that kind of work, so I should warn you that competition is quite fierce. Perhaps in Brno you'll find it simpler...

If you do speak some Czech, you'll be at an advantage, and you may find work advertised on proz.com, but to be honest, it's not really a big area on here.

Whatever you do end up doing, good luck with it!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for proofreading work in the Czech Republic

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »