Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Should I tell my project manager the truth?
Thread poster: Oxana Salazar (X)
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:08
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Proofreaders ought to give a balanced picture Nov 16, 2009

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Here's a thought, though - if we feel compelled to comment on any poor translation - even if we think the PM will figure it out anyway - shouldn't we be consistent and also point out those we think are exceptionally good?

I wonder how many of us have ever done that.

I always try to start with the postive things.

I learnt this from a colleague whp proofread my work in the early days.
He alway started by telling me what was GOOD about my work. ("You can make a note of that for next time - you found a neat way of putting it there...")

For a beginner that sort of thing is just as important as avoiding mistakes! They also have to learn what is really good, and what is aceptable but could be improved (and why)...
Besides, when criticism comes, it is far easier to accept it and learn from it too.

In fact, I aways give an indication of the overall quality IMHO, as positive as possible! ´generally fine´ or ´apart from the sections I have corrected, this was good´ ´Reads well on the whole´ or whatever. Then the PM knows I mean it on occasions when I say the translation is unacceptable.

Quality is a positive thing, not just the absence of typos or gross blunders.

Orla Clancy
Orla Clancy  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 00:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
It's vital that the main message gets across Jan 4, 2010

I think that you should say something, because it's vital that this woman has her medication with her all the time, and this message should have been emphasised in the translated text. The project manager would need to go back to the translator and talk to them about this.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I tell my project manager the truth?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »