Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Proofreading or translating all over again?
Thread poster: Melina Ruiz Arias
Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Talk to the client first Sep 29, 2008

I had the same experience recently: I did not carefully read through the translation to be reviewed before I accepted the proofreading job, and when I found there were too many mistakes, it's weedend and the client was not reachable. The first thought coming into my mind is to give up, as the proofreading rate was low and the job actually required re-translation and the deadline was tight!

Finally I persuaded myself to do it as I promised, however, I emailed my comments to the clien
... See more
I had the same experience recently: I did not carefully read through the translation to be reviewed before I accepted the proofreading job, and when I found there were too many mistakes, it's weedend and the client was not reachable. The first thought coming into my mind is to give up, as the proofreading rate was low and the job actually required re-translation and the deadline was tight!

Finally I persuaded myself to do it as I promised, however, I emailed my comments to the client regarding the poor quality of the translation. I finished the proofreading job on time and the client proposed adjustment to my payment

But not all clients are so kind. The lesson I learnt is: review the assignment carefully before accepting it.
Collapse

Melina Ruiz Arias
Melina Ruiz Arias  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:37
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How the story ended: Translating from scratch Sep 29, 2008

Hello everybody. It's good to keep receiving responses about this issue. It's great how we can interact by telling our own experiences!!!
Well the story finally came to an end, I somehow managed to explain to my client why it was necessary to re-translate the whole thing. Anyway I charged a smaller fee (it was higher than a proofreading's fee, but a bit lower than a translation's), but I had PLENTY of time to work on the project.
I agree with you Milton, reviewing the assignment bef
... See more
Hello everybody. It's good to keep receiving responses about this issue. It's great how we can interact by telling our own experiences!!!
Well the story finally came to an end, I somehow managed to explain to my client why it was necessary to re-translate the whole thing. Anyway I charged a smaller fee (it was higher than a proofreading's fee, but a bit lower than a translation's), but I had PLENTY of time to work on the project.
I agree with you Milton, reviewing the assignment before accepting it should be a MUST. The difficult task, in my case, was to "prove" WHY. I did my best, actually I provided some examples.. then they took a month to finally decide it had to be re-translated.
Happy ending ...
Collapse

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Long waiting period Sep 30, 2008

It's good to hear you finally persuaded your client to approve re-translation. we all learn from experience and sharing with each other will speed up it

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading or translating all over again?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »