Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:27
Member (2006)
German to English
Touch wood Jul 15, 2012

Everything is going fine this year, cant complain at all - Just paying too much tax and health insurance that ruins it!!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good Jul 16, 2012

I did so well during the first half of the year that I am now taking breaks from my work to finish a book that I'm writing (stay tuned!).

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:27
French to English
+ ...
Funny you should ask that... Jul 16, 2012

Jenn Mercer wrote:

It is hard to make exact predictions during the summer doldrums, but I am feeling quite positive. I have been picking up a better class of client and have plans to acquire more direct clients. I have had a few slow periods this year, but the totals at midyear are better than last so I must be doing something right. I would love to see a poll on revenue trends broken down by language pair. I think that makes a huge difference, particularly with the problems in Europe.

I've noticed a big switch this year: in recent years the bulk of my work has been French > English, on a ratio of 75% French to 25% German. Since April of this year there's been a complete change-round and most of the work that I've been offered has been German > English. I can only assume it's to do with the economic situation, although maybe the French elections have put some things on hold too. Interesting too that more of my work this year has come from UK-based clients rather than European clients.

It would be interesting to see whether other people have noticed a similar trend and how other language pairs are faring too. Not sure whether one poll could cover the whole range though!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Financially, my projection for the second half of 2012 is

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »