Inițiatorul discuției: ProZ.com Staff
Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:00
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
My own Jun 1, 2010

I have a Word template for invoicing, and use an Excel file to keep track of my income and earnings.

I wouldn't feel safe disclosing private business information to third parties.

Greetings!

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Ţările de Jos
Local time: 07:00
din olandeză în română
+ ...
Quick Books and ProZ invoicing platform Jun 1, 2010

I use them both, but I will renounce at proZ invoicing system soon, when I get used to my new software.

It saves time and does a lot of things for you, like remembering the number of the previous invoices, remembering the clients and their details, highlighting the past due invoices, making necessary calculations automatically etc.

I don't want to say bad things, but IMHO invoices prepared in Word and sent in Word (i.e. not converted to PDF) look very unprofessional.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
I do my own. Jun 1, 2010

Some of you do dozens of smaller jobs per week; if I were in that situation, I would definitely need specialized tools to save time and help me keep track.

I, on the other hand, have a few regular clients for whom I do rather large jobs. I send only 3-4 invoices per month, and prefer to tailor each one. I also do some smaller jobs for an agency, but they don't require an invoice from me. I simply keep a list of jobs I do for them (with dates and word counts), and compare with their
... See more
Some of you do dozens of smaller jobs per week; if I were in that situation, I would definitely need specialized tools to save time and help me keep track.

I, on the other hand, have a few regular clients for whom I do rather large jobs. I send only 3-4 invoices per month, and prefer to tailor each one. I also do some smaller jobs for an agency, but they don't require an invoice from me. I simply keep a list of jobs I do for them (with dates and word counts), and compare with their monthly checks to be sure nothing has been omitted. I know them well and trust them, and have never had a problem.

Why would a PDF be be considered more "professional" than an invoice in Word? Do some of you have problems with clients altering invoices (i.e. committing fraud)? If that's the case, I can see the advantage of involving ProZ.com as a witness!

Jane
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Cehia
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
PDF, etc. Jun 1, 2010

Why would a PDF be be considered more "professional" than an invoice in Word?

Because a PDF document is by design guaranteed to look the same on all platforms, and PDF readers are free and exist for virtually every platform on the market. If you open a Word document (especially if you use something other than Word itself), there is no guarantee you will see exactly the same page layout.

==========

I personally use Excel with my own templates and prin
... See more
Why would a PDF be be considered more "professional" than an invoice in Word?

Because a PDF document is by design guaranteed to look the same on all platforms, and PDF readers are free and exist for virtually every platform on the market. If you open a Word document (especially if you use something other than Word itself), there is no guarantee you will see exactly the same page layout.

==========

I personally use Excel with my own templates and print them out to PDF, but I usually work on very big projects and only write 40-50 invoices a year. I have long had a plan to write my own database-backed software, but never got around to doing it...
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
My situation may be very different. Jun 1, 2010

Anton Konashenok wrote:

If you open a Word document (especially if you use something other than Word itself), there is no guarantee you will see exactly the same page layout.

Good point.

I know 95% of my clients. I know what versions of Word they have, and send the invoices in the same version I sent the translations. Even when I'm translating an Excel or PPt doc, I send a file of comments/questions/corrections to the original, and I send it in Word, so I ask the client first which version to use. Or, if they prefer, I send it in WordPerfect, rtf, etc. Some of my clients would, I know, not be very happy with a PDF! In fact, I don't like to receive them myself.

Again, my situation is probably different from most.

Jane

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 22:00
din engleză în germană
+ ...
In Memoriam
I use our own stationery Jun 2, 2010

It's part of the corporate design. Invoices are written in InDesign, with scanned signatures and what not, then sent as a PDF.

However, a while ago I took a closer look at the Proz.com invoicing tool - very impressive! Excellent job.

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macao
Membru (2007)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
Proz.com invoicing tool Jun 2, 2010

I've been using it since it was launched. It works great for me!

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Ţările de Jos
engleză
+ ...
Ditto. Jun 2, 2010

Chun Un wrote:

I've been using it since it was launched. It works great for me!

Eva Bartilucci
Eva Bartilucci  Identity Verified
Germania
din franceză în germană
+ ...
TraduManager Jun 3, 2010

I use the TraduManager for creating my invoices.
The tool has been developed by my colleague and me because we have seen that there was not yet a satisfying solution in the market.

You can download a free trial version here: http://www.shareware.de/tradumanager/

[Bearbeitet am 2010-06-03 09:31 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Cehia
din engleză în cehă
+ ...
Projetex + Word Jun 4, 2010

The RTF templates in Projetex make it possible to customise the invoice to suit the needs of the target market.
And believe me, the Czech bureaucracy demands a lot...

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use invoicing software?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »