Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:10
German to English
+ ...
Using a foreign language with your dog Jan 14, 2010

danilingua wrote:
Witzig, im Ausland sind die Befehle Deutsch (Italien)
D

There were great advantages to having German-trained dogs in the US. Aside from the fact that we spoke German at home anyway, if people hear you speak to the dog in German, crowds part like the red sea. Especially if the dog is a GSD (Alsatian to you Brits). That's because they are popular with police and security workers, who almost all use badly accented German. It's also nice, because neighbor kids and strangers have no idea how to order your dog around. Now that I live in Germany, I suppose I ought to train our three new mutts in English, but I simply can't break the habit of German except for a few nicknames.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:10
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Example of a dog talk Jan 14, 2010

Here's what it sounds like approximately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoxYdfuNxzc

Ulrike Granitzki (X)
Ulrike Granitzki (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Dog distinguishes between 77 toys by their names Jan 23, 2010

Wordeffect wrote:

My Springer in particular seems able to distinguish between the names of the various animal toys in her toy basket and usually brings the right one if you ask her to bring one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ybwg1nQeo&feature=PlayList&p=682ACB48672BA8A6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15

In this video you can see Rico, a Border Collie, in a German TV show. At that time, he could recognize 77 different toys by their names, and bring them on command. They have him bring, among others, 2 different soccer balls with different names. He manages without problems, of course! Today, Rico is said to know more than 200 objects by their names. Here is an article on how he learns new words very very fast (it's in German only). :

http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/17/17627/1.html

So much for the ability of dogs to learn the human language!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
The dogs often know more than the trainers Jan 23, 2010

Ulrike Granitzki wrote:
So much for the ability of dogs to learn the human language!

For nearly 20 years experts have been telling me what my dogs will or will not understand and what their limits are. My dogs and I listen patiently, wag/nod politely, the return to communicating in our own way, with a subtlety and complexity that most of the books, videos and personal trainers will tell you is not possible. As long as the hierarchy is very clear, your dog trusts rather than fears you and you are consistent to a standard that most consider "unreasonable", there will be very few problems with anything. Sort of like raising kids, really.

[Edited at 2010-01-23 18:05 GMT]

Gail Bond
Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
French dogs speak French Jan 23, 2010

A couple of years ago we were out walking in the south of France when we came across a lost dog. We phoned his owners from the number on his collar, but there was no reply. Whisky chose to stay with us all day and had a lovely walk. We began to wonder whether he was trained, so we tried the commands 'Sit! Stay! Give us a paw!' to no avail. Then we tried 'Assis! Reste là! Donne-moi ta patte!' and hilariously he responded. I don't know why we find it so strange, of course the dog is bound to lear... See more
A couple of years ago we were out walking in the south of France when we came across a lost dog. We phoned his owners from the number on his collar, but there was no reply. Whisky chose to stay with us all day and had a lovely walk. We began to wonder whether he was trained, so we tried the commands 'Sit! Stay! Give us a paw!' to no avail. Then we tried 'Assis! Reste là! Donne-moi ta patte!' and hilariously he responded. I don't know why we find it so strange, of course the dog is bound to learn his own language, but we had hours of fun trying out different commands and trying (unsuccessfully) to teach him the English equivalents!

By the way, we eventually contacted his owner and she came and picked him up. Apparently he escapes all the time and has jolly days out with passing walkers on a regular basis!
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Recent BBC Horizon program Jan 24, 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8441974.stm

Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:10
English to Finnish
+ ...
dog commands, Finnish Mar 13, 2012

Sit = istu
Down = maahan (if meaning 'lie down'), but: if meaning 'down' if the dog is jumping against you, for example, then in Finnish: alas
Stay = paikka
Fetch = tuo / nouda / hae (all equally commonly used)
Off = irti (if this means 'let go of sthg')
Leave = pois (in the sense of 'go away')
Come = tänne (lit. 'here'/'here') or tule (lit. 'come')

heel = seuraa
seiso = stand
no = ei
climb = kiipeä
give paw = anna tassu<
... See more
Sit = istu
Down = maahan (if meaning 'lie down'), but: if meaning 'down' if the dog is jumping against you, for example, then in Finnish: alas
Stay = paikka
Fetch = tuo / nouda / hae (all equally commonly used)
Off = irti (if this means 'let go of sthg')
Leave = pois (in the sense of 'go away')
Come = tänne (lit. 'here'/'here') or tule (lit. 'come')

heel = seuraa
seiso = stand
no = ei
climb = kiipeä
give paw = anna tassu
wait = odota
go around = kierrä (I personally see this as one of the very handy commands, for example, to tell the dog to go around a light post, tree, etc.)
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
What a wonderful thread this is! Mar 13, 2012

We got a dog for the first time recently and my children ordered me not to teach him English because according to a dog trainer they met in the dog park dogs could only learn up to 30 words. Teaching him to be bilingual would use up too many precious resources.

I've managed more or less (with the result that I now mix up languages when talking to the cat, who I only ever spoke in English to before). The only thing he appears to understand in English is "good dog": sadly I'm the onl
... See more
We got a dog for the first time recently and my children ordered me not to teach him English because according to a dog trainer they met in the dog park dogs could only learn up to 30 words. Teaching him to be bilingual would use up too many precious resources.

I've managed more or less (with the result that I now mix up languages when talking to the cat, who I only ever spoke in English to before). The only thing he appears to understand in English is "good dog": sadly I'm the only one who praises him regularly.

When we want to talk about him without him getting excited that the conversation might lead to him being taken out for a walk, we use the German word for his name (pronounced with a frightful English or French accent according to what language we're speaking in, to the point that any Germans within earshot never understand!).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dog commands

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »