Use external dictionary with Across
Thread poster: Laszlo Ress
Laszlo Ress
Laszlo Ress

Local time: 05:55
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 8, 2013

I am currently working on a huge (300.000+ words) catalogue translation project in across (v5.5).
Unfortunately the client forgot to set the dictionary, so now I can't use crossTerm.
I am way behind schedule, because I rely heavily on CAT-features like inserting terms from the termbase with one keyboard shortcut.
I already contacted my client (through the TSP), but they said, it is not possible to add a dictionary in this stage of the translation process. This is hard to believ
... See more
I am currently working on a huge (300.000+ words) catalogue translation project in across (v5.5).
Unfortunately the client forgot to set the dictionary, so now I can't use crossTerm.
I am way behind schedule, because I rely heavily on CAT-features like inserting terms from the termbase with one keyboard shortcut.
I already contacted my client (through the TSP), but they said, it is not possible to add a dictionary in this stage of the translation process. This is hard to believe for me, so I tried it myself without any success.
I also wrote across support, but they didn't bother to answer in 3 days.

What I am looking for is a way to use my own made (in memoQ) dictionary in across either by setting up somehow a dictionary in across, or by using an external application that can work together with across.

Any help appreciated
Laszlo
Collapse

Liselotte K. de Hennig
Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:55
Spanish to German
+ ...
Import CSV termbase into crossTerm from Across Jun 12, 2013

Apparently you can export your dictionary from memoQ as CSV-file as shown under http://memoq.helpmax.net/en/reference-guide/term-base-export-settings/ and import the CS... See more
Apparently you can export your dictionary from memoQ as CSV-file as shown under http://memoq.helpmax.net/en/reference-guide/term-base-export-settings/ and import the CSV-file into crossTerm as it is explained under http://www.across.net/documentation/onlinehelp/Across_v5_sp1_en/acrossSchritte43.htm.

Kind regards
Liselotte Hennig
Collapse

Laszlo Ress
Laszlo Ress

Local time: 05:55
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
workaround needed Jun 14, 2013

Thanks for your answer, I am aware of the possibility to import a CVS file into crossterm.
My problem is that there is no termbase attached to the project I am working on, therefore I cannot import the CVS file.
I contacted the customer and he said it is not possible in this stage of the translation process to attach a termbase to the project. I am working with across 5 years now and 90% of the projects I have done there was no termbase attached. I have a feeling that this will not
... See more
Thanks for your answer, I am aware of the possibility to import a CVS file into crossterm.
My problem is that there is no termbase attached to the project I am working on, therefore I cannot import the CVS file.
I contacted the customer and he said it is not possible in this stage of the translation process to attach a termbase to the project. I am working with across 5 years now and 90% of the projects I have done there was no termbase attached. I have a feeling that this will not change in the future. I do not know why it is not possible, the PMs of several translation agencies and customers never bothered to explain. It might be because project mamagers are poorly trained or just forgot to attach a termbase.

Actually, from my point of view it doesn't matter why. What matters, however, is the deadline, which I will not be able to meet with a 300.000+ word project, when there is no termbase attached. I was allowed to propose a deadline myself, but I also counted on using the crossterm function of across, which I cannot use most of the time, despite the frequent assurances, that there will be a crossterm.

Therefore I am searching for a method to attached a termbase myself to a project, or find an external application which I can use with across to insert termbase hits in across.

If you know of a workaround or such an external program, please let me know.

Best regards,
Laszlo Ress
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use external dictionary with Across

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »