Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
Local time: 19:17
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my working environment Jan 1, 2013

My new working environment is a 17.3 inch laptop with i7, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM.

That's why it is no problem for me to lose gb.

By the way, there may be a difference between normal win8 and win8 enterprise with regards to services. The version of windows shouldn't be affecting the workaround of Across but I have doubts nowadays.

... See more
My new working environment is a 17.3 inch laptop with i7, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM.

That's why it is no problem for me to lose gb.

By the way, there may be a difference between normal win8 and win8 enterprise with regards to services. The version of windows shouldn't be affecting the workaround of Across but I have doubts nowadays.

[Edited at 2013-01-01 18:51 GMT]
Collapse

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMs into trados.. Jan 1, 2013

I started importing my TM into the trados database.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Across 5.5 works on 64-bit Windows 8 Jan 2, 2013

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:

I believe the basic Windows features needed by Across are the same in all editions, so it shouldn't matter if it's Enterprise, Pro, Home or anything else.

I was able to install the 64-bit Windows 8 Enterprise 3-month trial in a virtual machine (in VMware Fusion 4.1.3 on a Mac), and Across PE 5.5 in it. Btw, Across asked for an Office font right at the beginning of the installation, so I had to install Office 2010 first. Across did run on that setup, so it looks like there's no specific incompatibility related to 64-bit Windows 8.

Anyway, if you don't need Across for a client and are only using it for yourself, it won't be a big loss if you can't use it on your new Windows 8 machine. Almost any other CAT tool on the market is better than Across.

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your efforts Dominique Jan 2, 2013

Dear Dominique,

I must say that I can not appreciate enough the efforts you have put. Thanks a lot. It seems you have been able to install Across. I really can't figure why I couldn't.

I am really accustomed to Across. The shortcuts and all other things. I was thinking to ask a softkey to a big agency in Europe. I will wait for across support technicians for a week then I will migrate to another one. You know Across is free for freelancer. That was the real benefit fo
... See more
Dear Dominique,

I must say that I can not appreciate enough the efforts you have put. Thanks a lot. It seems you have been able to install Across. I really can't figure why I couldn't.

I am really accustomed to Across. The shortcuts and all other things. I was thinking to ask a softkey to a big agency in Europe. I will wait for across support technicians for a week then I will migrate to another one. You know Across is free for freelancer. That was the real benefit for me. I may not afford many other legal CAT tools at the moment.
Across worked fine for me till now.

Lets see what will the future bring?

Thanks again.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Clean install Jan 3, 2013

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:
Thanks a lot. It seems you have been able to install Across. I really can't figure why I couldn't.

What you could try is a clean install:

1. Install Windows 8
2. Apply any updates from Microsoft (you need to go to Windows Update several times and reboot in between)
3. Install Office 2010
4. Apply updates (again, via Windows Updates)
5. Install Across

In order not to affect your existing setup, you can do this in a virtual machine, especially since you've got lots of RAM and disk space. Just install VirtualBox and proceed from there. If it works, you can reformat your hard drive and repeat the process on your physical machine.

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
finally installed V5.00 Jan 7, 2013

I found the old set-up files from previous version V.5.00 and tried. Well it worked.
It installed SQL 2005 with many warnings about compability. I ignored and continued.

Then I applied the patch for V.5.5. It installed.

I tired to install SQL 2008 R2. Failed due to some rules.

There is a problem with the SQL services but I couldn't figure out yet.

I will work on it.

By the way @ Dmoinique: Trados usually requires to create
... See more
I found the old set-up files from previous version V.5.00 and tried. Well it worked.
It installed SQL 2005 with many warnings about compability. I ignored and continued.

Then I applied the patch for V.5.5. It installed.

I tired to install SQL 2008 R2. Failed due to some rules.

There is a problem with the SQL services but I couldn't figure out yet.

I will work on it.

By the way @ Dmoinique: Trados usually requires to create project for full working capacity (analyze and other stuff) whereas Across can work instantly. And you can adjust that each confirmed translation can enter the TM database instantly. I couldn't find it in Trados. Two days of work flew away and I had to write all again. I think I will struggle for Across against all odds.
Collapse

Johanna Holmgren (X)
Johanna Holmgren (X)
Sweden
Local time: 18:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Update Across? Mar 6, 2014

Hi, apologies for not reading all the steps you've been through, and I really hope you've managed to resolve the issues. I was just wondering if there is any reason why you're not using the latest version of Across (5.7)? I managed to install it on my laptop with Windows 8 (aaaargh), but I seem to remember having problems with SQL during that installation or the previous one, which I eventually solved by downloading the relevant SQL 2008 update directly from Microsoft.

Good luck!

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
working now. Mar 7, 2014

Johanna Holmgren wrote:

Hi, apologies for not reading all the steps you've been through, and I really hope you've managed to resolve the issues. I was just wondering if there is any reason why you're not using the latest version of Across (5.7)? I managed to install it on my laptop with Windows 8 (aaaargh), but I seem to remember having problems with SQL during that installation or the previous one, which I eventually solved by downloading the relevant SQL 2008 update directly from Microsoft.

Good luck!

Thanks Johanna,

Now, my Across is working fine. 5.7 wasn't released by the time I was installing.

I got used to Trados. Therefore, I will use Across only if agencies require especially.

conifer (X)
conifer (X)
Japan
Local time: 01:17
German to Japanese
+ ...
Can't install Across on Windows 8 either Apr 25, 2014

Hi Metin,

I'm not sure if you still have a look on this thread, but I have the same problem and I'm stuck. I have read all the comment on your thread and tried everything but can't go further.

I have contacted Across Support and they have given me an answer that the SQL Server installation has a problem and that they can't really help because it is of Microsoft, not theirs.

In my laptop with Windows 7, it was successfully installed without any problem. Thou
... See more
Hi Metin,

I'm not sure if you still have a look on this thread, but I have the same problem and I'm stuck. I have read all the comment on your thread and tried everything but can't go further.

I have contacted Across Support and they have given me an answer that the SQL Server installation has a problem and that they can't really help because it is of Microsoft, not theirs.

In my laptop with Windows 7, it was successfully installed without any problem. Though I need to get accustomed to it as I am new to Across.

In any case, if you have any suggestion on the installation of SQL Server on Windows 8, I'd be more than grateful. Thank you!

[Edited at 2014-04-25 00:15 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Microsoft SQL should be installed by Across May 4, 2014

Yukiko Uembyu wrote:
In any case, if you have any suggestion on the installation of SQL Server on Windows 8, I'd be more than grateful.

I just installed Across PE 5.7 in Windows 8 (did it in a virtual machine, so as not to "pollute" my own production environment). Across installed all the Microsoft SQL stuff it needed. If I go to Control Panel, I can see all the various SQL bits that were installed a the same time as Across:

If I were you, I would first uninstall anything related to Microsoft SQL Server (via Windows' Control Panel), then let Across install what it needs, as I did.

Just for the record, here is the free space I had on my C: drive before installing Across:

and after the installation was complete:

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't install Across on Windows 8!!!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »