Across 5.0 vs.5.3
Thread poster: zigzum
zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:35
Jul 26, 2012

Dear colleagues,

is anyone of you using Across 5.0? By incident I found that Across has released version 5.3. Has anyone done the change? Do you think it is necessary? Do you see any difference?

Thank you in advance

Viktor Grigorov
Zigzum.eu

Sprachfuchs
Sprachfuchs  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
5.3 Jul 26, 2012

I use 5.3 but honestly I don't see a difference

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:35
Finnish to French
20 times faster (!) Jul 26, 2012

Katina Bergmann wrote:

You mean Across was so fast already you couldn't spot the 20-fold increase in speed brought by version 5.3

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bingo! Jul 26, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Katina Bergmann wrote:

You mean Across was so fast already you couldn't spot the 20-fold increase in speed brought by version 5.3

I updated my Across and found it WAS very fast at opening and closing the program, but I can't be sure if it is faster in other ways. Some new features were added into it.

Happy Updating!

zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
is it worth it? Jul 26, 2012

Katina Bergmann wrote:

So, is it worth it...i am still a beginner with not that many customers and the 5.0 is perfectly fine for me. Honestly, speed is not an issue as of right now

lprd027
lprd027
Local time: 12:35
German to English
+ ...
v5.3 supports larger databases... Jul 29, 2012

I have just installed Across v5.3 PE and don't see many differences...

However, this version supports SQL Server 2008 R2 Express as well as SQL Server 2005 Express. This may be an advantage if you have a large database ~ 4GB as the 2008 edition supports larger databases up to 10GB. You don't get the 2008 database automatically if you update to v5.3 though -- Across will continue to use the 2005 version. You have to download and install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express from Microsoft's web
... See more
I have just installed Across v5.3 PE and don't see many differences...

However, this version supports SQL Server 2008 R2 Express as well as SQL Server 2005 Express. This may be an advantage if you have a large database ~ 4GB as the 2008 edition supports larger databases up to 10GB. You don't get the 2008 database automatically if you update to v5.3 though -- Across will continue to use the 2005 version. You have to download and install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express from Microsoft's website and install it yourself. Take care when doing this, or you may damage your database...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across 5.0 vs.5.3

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »