Can Across count words in identical source&target segments?
Thread poster: Wolfram P Singewald
Wolfram P Singewald
Wolfram P Singewald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:10
English to German
Jun 1, 2012

Hi there.

I'm translating a document that has a table in it that lists a company's employees and their positions.
Neither the names (obviously) nor the positions are to be translated.

Now I could either do this

a) by setting the empty target segments to "translated", so Across will insert the source text in the translated document. If I do it like this, is there any way Across can count out the number of un-translated words for me?

... See more
Hi there.

I'm translating a document that has a table in it that lists a company's employees and their positions.
Neither the names (obviously) nor the positions are to be translated.

Now I could either do this

a) by setting the empty target segments to "translated", so Across will insert the source text in the translated document. If I do it like this, is there any way Across can count out the number of un-translated words for me?

or

b) by inserting the source text into the target field. If I choose this option, can Across count the number of words in the identical source/target segments?

I suppose I should better use option a) if possible, so as not to clutter my TM with names.

The idea is, as you can probably guess, to know how many words I actually translated.

Thanks for your help,

Wolfram
Collapse

Wesley Bormann
Wesley Bormann
Sweden
Local time: 15:10
Fileformat Jun 4, 2012

Hello Wolfram,

What kind of file is it? Which format?

Regards,

Wesley

Wolfram P Singewald
Spain
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
.doc Jun 4, 2012

It's an ordinary .doc file with some tables in it.

I also remembered that in the task window, Across shows you the number of words you've translated. So once I was done I could see how many words I'd actually translated.
That helps a little.

However there are quite a few repetitions among the words I did not translate, so I can't just take the number of repetitions in the analysis and subtract that from my "new" word count..

Wesley Bormann
Wesley Bormann
Sweden
Local time: 15:10
I'll get back to you Jun 4, 2012

Wolfram P Singewald wrote:

It's an ordinary .doc file with some tables in it.

I also remembered that in the task window, Across shows you the number of words you've translated. So once I was done I could see how many words I'd actually translated.
That helps a little.

However there are quite a few repetitions among the words I did not translate, so I can't just take the number of repetitions in the analysis and subtract that from my "new" word count..

A .doc file, how unfortunate, if it would have been a .xml file there would be a very easy way by using a template. However, I do not necessarily know how that should be done with a word file. I'll go and have a look around Across, see if I can find something.

AAV
AAV
Local time: 20:10
Possible while not translated paragraphs are untouched Jun 5, 2012

If you leave all these "not translated" paragraphs as "untouched" until the very last moment, you can see number of words in Untouched paragraphs (and for Translated ones) in crossDesk, crossView -> Progress information tab (the last tab in "tree").

Wolfram P Singewald
Spain
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
collides with repetition count Jun 5, 2012

Thanks for the hint.
Now if I could count the repetitions EXCLUDING those non-transladed segments, everything would be perfect.

Here's my problem:

E.g. in my document I have 500 words of names and designations that I don't translate, and 500 repetitions. I could now subtract 1000 words from my invoiceable word count.

But what if 200 of the detected repetitions are names that I did not translate? I'd subtract 200 words too many and cheat myself
... See more
Thanks for the hint.
Now if I could count the repetitions EXCLUDING those non-transladed segments, everything would be perfect.

Here's my problem:

E.g. in my document I have 500 words of names and designations that I don't translate, and 500 repetitions. I could now subtract 1000 words from my invoiceable word count.

But what if 200 of the detected repetitions are names that I did not translate? I'd subtract 200 words too many and cheat myself.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Across count words in identical source&target segments?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »