Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 18, 2011

G'day everyone

I need to do a job in CrossWeb, but I have no idea how much work it is. How does one do a word count in CrossWeb? How can I figure out what the size of the job is?

Thanks
Samuel

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:24
English to Portuguese
Counting Words in CrossView Aug 18, 2011

In the crossView pane (left), hover on the last last icon. There appears the message "progress information". There you will find how many words you have to translate, the words you have translated and percent of words.

However, the number of words in a file is presented when you click on "View my Tasks", or when you click the icon "Projects", both on the "What you Want to Do?" area.

To move to the next segment during translation, just press Ctr+Alt+Enter.

... See more
In the crossView pane (left), hover on the last last icon. There appears the message "progress information". There you will find how many words you have to translate, the words you have translated and percent of words.

However, the number of words in a file is presented when you click on "View my Tasks", or when you click the icon "Projects", both on the "What you Want to Do?" area.

To move to the next segment during translation, just press Ctr+Alt+Enter.

To automatically have the text in the editing box, on the tool bar just above it, click on the arrow beside the icon "Copy paragraph" and mark "PErmanent Paragraph Copy". The text to translated will be there for editing.

If you want the fuzzy matches to be exhibited just like in WFC: on the same tool bar, click on the arrow beside the icon "Insert best crosstank match" and mark "translate paragraph permanenty"

Just hover the mouse over the icons to exhibit these messages.

Hope to have helped.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Walter Aug 18, 2011

Walter Moura wrote:

Thanks, I saw that shortly after I posted the query. The weird thing is that one has to press the "update" button at the bottom of that pane to get the current statistics. When I first saw that pane, it was empty, so I suspect that one has to edit at least one segment before the statistics on that pane kick into action and show the various totals.

Just hover the mouse over the icons to exhibit these messages.

Thanks, I guess I'm just not used to Across terminology. I did see the "permanent" tick box, but I had no idea what it meant -- I thought that it might make the copy permanent for that particular segment only (now I know it means "always").

Beatriz González
Beatriz González  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Not possible to count words Mar 20, 2012

Hi there!

I have a huge project in Across and I can just see the number of words from each file. The thing is, I´d need to know total number of words and repetitions in the server-based application.

Thanks in advance,

Beatriz

AAV
AAV
Local time: 22:24
Crreate MDR for project Mar 23, 2012

Beatriz González wrote:

Hi there!

I have a huge project in Across and I can just see the number of words from each file. The thing is, I´d need to know total number of words and repetitions in the server-based application.

Thanks in advance,

Beatriz

Word count for project can be seen in project properties (right-click on project -> properties -> tab "state").
For repetitions (and also word count) create a Master Data Report for project.

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Wordcount? Jun 28, 2012

I'm having the same problem. But I don't know how to crate Master Data Report for the project.
I tried to see the progress, but it doesn't change, and the total number of words is far from the realistic ones.
I'm used to Trados etc. where you can see the exact number of words that are left to be translated in any given moment.
When you're working on a large project, that's very annoying.

Gerardo Comino
Gerardo Comino  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Still no answer for this??? Oct 22, 2013

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:24
English to Portuguese
Word Count, Match Count and other Reports in Across Oct 22, 2013

Gerardo Comino wrote:

Hello, Gerardo.

At the moment, I have only one server-based project, so I will have to explain how this is made in the Personal Edition:

1. Go to the First Pane in Across "What do You want to do"?

2. Click on "Projects"

3. CLick the folder containing all the files in the project.

4. Click the "Reports" button.

5. On the Report Wizard, click "Next" to "Report History"
6. On Report History click "Next" to "Generate Report"
7. On "Generate Report" there are several options for reports (MDR, DDR, QMR, WTR, GTR). Choose any one of these, then click "Next" to "Select Report setting Template". Just click "Next"
8. On "Select Report setting Template" is shown all the files in the project, duly selected. Leave them all selected, or unselect some, as you will.
9. CLick "Finish"

There you have it. I chose the first Report, MDR- Master Data Report, which presents a very detailed analysis of the project, with everything you mention and, I believe, much more.

If you need another kind of Report, just go back to 4. ==> 5.

On Report History, you will find the Report you just created. Click on it, then click "Next" to chose another Report type, then go through 9.

On server-served projects, if the above options are absent, go to "My Tasks"; select the box "Show all tasks"; Select the file name; then click on "Show Report", this will show detailed info on that file. I don't know if you can do it in a batch, as I have only one file at the moment. Perhaps with a combo of Ctrl+Mouse or Shift+Mouse you can select more than one file, then click Report.

I hope this will help you with your current and future projects.

Best regards,

Ilde Grimaldi

Beatriz González
Beatriz González  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
German to Spanish
+ ...
No "Projects" Option Nov 7, 2013

Hello folks!

Thanks for the answers. The thing is, when you are working on a server, it does not appear the "Projects" option. I can just view: "Open Tasks", "View my Tasks", "Retrieve Tasks", and "Deliver Tasks". That´s why I can just have a look at the amount of words of every file but I cannot select all of them to see the exact number of words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do word count in CrossWeb

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »