How to have an Across translation task reviewed by a second person?
Thread poster: elzosim
elzosim
elzosim  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:23
English to Greek
+ ...
Jan 27, 2010

Hello,

I am a new Across user and am trying to figure out how I could "send" my completed translation task to a reviewer, who also owns Across.
I use Personal Edition and a cap file for logging in. I retrieve the tasks from the client's server.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Albatros
Albatros  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:23
Member (2007)
English to Italian
difficult to do with the remote/standby client Jan 28, 2010

Hi,

I sometimes work with the CAP license and download projects from our client. The only method I know to achieve what you are looking for is for the client to reassign the project to an editor directly on the server. The editor would have a different ID/password.

If you work with the standalone personal edition, it's much easier to export the project, but I suppose this is not an option here.

As a workaround, you may try to export the file as a two-column
... See more
Hi,

I sometimes work with the CAP license and download projects from our client. The only method I know to achieve what you are looking for is for the client to reassign the project to an editor directly on the server. The editor would have a different ID/password.

If you work with the standalone personal edition, it's much easier to export the project, but I suppose this is not an option here.

As a workaround, you may try to export the file as a two-column HTML file. To do this, go to the "correction mode" and click on the blue floppy disk icon. This will create an HTML file that the reviewer could edit in Word/OpenOffice and you would then implement her edits back into Across. Not ideal, but still better than nothing...
Collapse

elzosim
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about exporting as a CRU file? Jan 29, 2010

Hi Albatros,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I was wondering whether the option to create a CRU file found in Deliver Task Wizard could be used as a means of exchanging completed tasks between Across users.
Across Help refers to this option as a means of transfering task data to the client project manager.
Therefore, would it be possible to create a CRU file and save it on my computer, send this CRU file to a reviewer, receive the edited task data from the rev
... See more
Hi Albatros,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I was wondering whether the option to create a CRU file found in Deliver Task Wizard could be used as a means of exchanging completed tasks between Across users.
Across Help refers to this option as a means of transfering task data to the client project manager.
Therefore, would it be possible to create a CRU file and save it on my computer, send this CRU file to a reviewer, receive the edited task data from the reviewer in an updated CRU file and then upload the task to the client's server?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

[Edited at 2010-01-29 11:49 GMT]
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to have an Across translation task reviewed by a second person? Jan 29, 2010

elzosim wrote:

Hello,

I am a new Across user and am trying to figure out how I could "send" my completed translation task to a reviewer, who also owns Across.
I use Personal Edition and a cap file for logging in. I retrieve the tasks from the client's server. Thanks in advance for your help.

I own an Across PE license for freelancers, but did not use it as I never had a demand for this. However, I suppose it will not be so difficult to export the source files and the memories to a standard format like TMX to your computer and further to your editor.

If so, there is no need to own Across, as normal files (MS filesand so far) and standard TMX memories may be edited with near any CAT tool your editor may have and you can reimport them to Across once edited or proofreaded. ¿Or are project files zipped in a propietary and closed Across format?

[Editado a las 2010-01-29 12:04 GMT]

AAV
AAV
Local time: 01:23
CRU can be sent to Across Server only Feb 8, 2010

Therefore, would it be possible to create a CRU file and save it on my computer, send this CRU file to a reviewer, receive the edited task data from the reviewer in an updated CRU file and then upload the task to the client's server?

It is not possible. You have to send CRU file to Across Server (project manager), and PM has to provide task to reviewer.

elzosim
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 8, 2010

Hello,

Thank you all for your valuable help.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to have an Across translation task reviewed by a second person? Feb 8, 2010

AAV wrote:

It is not possible. You have to send CRU file to Across Server (project manager), and PM has to provide task to reviewer.

As I have not Across installed nor a CRU file, may I ask you to check something, if you have the possibility and time enough?

As most of propietary files formats are only zipped files with another file extension (like thePXF file format from STAR Transit or the ODF files from OpenOffice), may you try with a unused backup copy of a CRU file if this one can be opened with Winrar or Winzip by changing the extension of the CRU file to .zip or .rar. This would be interesting to know for cases like the described one by elzosim. Many thanks in advance.

AAV
AAV
Local time: 01:23
CWU/CRU are zipped .mdb files. Feb 9, 2010

...but this won't help in described case, because there is no possibility to get translated document with just unzipping of CRU.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to have an Across translation task reviewed by a second person? Feb 9, 2010

AAV wrote:

...but this won't help in described case, because there is no possibility to get translated document with just unzipping of CRU.

Ok, many thanx for the info. I had thought about this possibility since sometimes there are only xml (or other kind of) compressed files that may be read by mean of unzipping them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to have an Across translation task reviewed by a second person?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »