Daniel Gonzalez
Daniel Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:09
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I have to translate a huge file in across that contains a lot of segments based on products reference numbers. Since I don't know a better way to do it I'm just copying the source segments in the target segments manually. But it's a lot of work because this kind of segments are too many. I would like this segments to be copied automatically so that I don't have to spend too much time doing it myself (there are a lot of segments like that) but I don't know how to do
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have to translate a huge file in across that contains a lot of segments based on products reference numbers. Since I don't know a better way to do it I'm just copying the source segments in the target segments manually. But it's a lot of work because this kind of segments are too many. I would like this segments to be copied automatically so that I don't have to spend too much time doing it myself (there are a lot of segments like that) but I don't know how to do it, even if it's possible at all. There is a function called "translate all objects" or something similar (I have the German version of across) which is pretty much what I need but with the difference that I would only select some segments.

I know its already weekend but I would appreciate every prompt help.

Thank you!
Daniel
Collapse

Radu Nicolaescu
Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:09
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Copy source in Across Jul 11, 2009

hello Daniel,

you have 2 ways:

1. general:
menu: tols -> copy all sources to target

2. automatically by line:
settings in the target editor: Copy paragraph -> Permanent paragraph copy

try it and good luck!

have a nice weekend

Radu Nicolaescu

Daniel Gonzalez
Switzerland
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tried that... Jul 11, 2009

Radu Nicolaescu wrote:

you have 2 ways:

1. general:
menu: tols -> copy all sources to target

Hi Radu,

I tried this in a test file and as I feared it copies ALL source segments in the target segments.

2. automatically by line:
settings in the target editor: Copy paragraph -> Permanent paragraph copy

This is what I'm currently doing but it doesn't help that much.

Basically I have this kind of repetitive segments:

XXXX for specialized customers XXXX

where "XXXX" is the changing part of the segment and "for specialized customers" the repetitive part. I would be great if across would allow me to copy all this kind of segments unchanged and then translate them with the "find and replace" tool. If I copy all sources into target I would lose all my translated segments.

Does across have a selective copy into target function? That would be great!

Thank you!
Daniel

Radu Nicolaescu
Romania
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
no worry Jul 11, 2009

no worry,

the command "copy all sources to target" will apply to untranslated segments only

the other ones remain so

then you may use "Tools-> Search and replace": in the pop-up window you can select the segments to change

for repetitive parts you can define translation in CrossTerm an apply by every segment

For the English version you may download and install the patch SP3
(but not in the middle of the projec
... See more
no worry,

the command "copy all sources to target" will apply to untranslated segments only

the other ones remain so

then you may use "Tools-> Search and replace": in the pop-up window you can select the segments to change

for repetitive parts you can define translation in CrossTerm an apply by every segment

For the English version you may download and install the patch SP3
(but not in the middle of the project course!)

try again (on the test file first) !

Radu
Collapse

Daniel Gonzalez
Switzerland
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 13, 2009

Thanks Radu,

I tried it on the test file and it worked. The "copy all sources to target" tool maintain the translated segments and it is pretty much what I needed. It's a pity that I knew about it too late. The job was almost done (and my hands too)

Thank you again for your helpful answer!

Daniel

Radu Nicolaescu
Romania
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
lasty mind Jul 13, 2009

it is so that happens

when the job is done, you find a better way to have done it

keep the lesson for the next one

When I got my first large Trados project (60,000 words) I didnot notice there is a "concordance" tool

and many, many years ago I even translated a pdf Power-tools catalogue (500 pages) in Acrobat Pro with the "touch up" tool

have sweet dreams

Daniel Gonzalez
Switzerland
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jul 13, 2009

I'll keep the lesson for sure.

Thanks again!
Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with copying source segments in target segments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »