Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 30, 2009

Some of my clients are 'upgrading' from Trados to Across, it seems that they do not plan to use the new Trados Studio. AFAIK, current version of Across is 4.0 SP3d. But a new version (V.5) is announced at the website of Across. Any information on the release date of this new version? What about the future of the "free" personal edition?

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 07:10
English to German
Across 5 Jun 30, 2009

Selcuk,

there is a preview session for across 5 scheduled on July 07. As for the official release date and the other question, I am waiting for an "official" reply.

Uwe

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
official across answer Jun 30, 2009

Selcuk,

here is the official answer I got from across:

The new version of V5 is going to be available July 20th.

"Regarding the Personal Edition - our policy remains the same with this release as with the other releases. It is for free for freelancer at the moment and will continue to be free in the future."

Uwe

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Uwe Jun 30, 2009

I have one more question

Is it possible to install both versions (4 and 5) for different clients?

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
Both versions Jun 30, 2009

Selcuk,

logic would dictate no since they both use SQL but the database versions will be different. I can see it only on separate boxes and the main challenge would be to maintain both databses.

However, let me make sure.

Uwe

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Hurray! Jun 30, 2009

Oh, 20th of July it is? I'm very happy for that!

And yes, I believe there will be a major move away from problematic and bug-ridden SDL Trados Studio 2009 to Across v5.

As for the installation of both v4 and v5, it should be possible: SQL server can create multiple instances, one for v4, one for v5, one for some other use, and so forth. Am I wrong?

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
V5 Jun 30, 2009

Epameinondas,

I am not so much concerned with the databse instances. I am concerned about having different versions of the same software in one computer.

Uwe

[Edited at 2009-06-30 17:12 GMT]

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
Version 5 Jul 1, 2009

Epameinondas,

here is the official answer from across in regards to version 4 and 5:

Across assures up and downwards compatability.

He can continue working on V4 and receive jobs from a V5 Server and of course vice versa. Never the less, we recommend that all our software users upgrade to V5 because it introduces a lot of enhancements to V4.

To answer your question - one installation is fine.

Uwe

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Well, not my question Jul 1, 2009

I do not intend to have both v4 and v5. I will only have v5, because it will have all those great new things in it!

ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Local time: 05:10
Japanese to English
Language Server 5 has been released Aug 5, 2009

Has anyone tested it yet? If so, what is your experience with it?

Thanks,

Mike

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
English to German
Version 5 Aug 6, 2009

Mike,

I am in the process of finalizing my installation for the Freelance version 5. I will let you know if there are issues. I am not touching the server at this time, due to different strategies in my company and the approval for purchase is delayed. We are working here with the single user version.

[Edited at 2009-08-06 13:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across Version 5

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »