Thread poster: Jonathan Holland
Jonathan Holland
Jonathan Holland  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2021

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if the latest versions of Trados Studio have a lexicon feature like Atril DVX2/3 have (and previous DV versions also had)? That is to say a separate list of terms just for the project in hand that can be created by highlighting the source and target and adding them to the list. It wasn't available in Studio 2007 I don't think.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:16
English to German
+ ...
Lexicon in Trados Studio? Jan 14, 2021

Jonathan Holland wrote:

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if the latest versions of Trados Studio have a lexicon feature like Atril DVX2/3 have (and previous DV versions also had)? That is to say a separate list of terms just for the project in hand that can be created by highlighting the source and target and adding them to the list. It wasn't available in Studio 2007 I don't think.

Hi
AFAIK this feature is unique to DéjàVu

Jonathan Holland

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Workaround? Jan 14, 2021

As far as I know, Studio 2021 doesn't provide a dedicated Lexicon in the way Déjà Vu does. However, you can set up a dedicated termbase for every new project. I didn't check this but I think that it's possible to assign an existing, empty termbase to a project template. Perhaps it lets you even create a new one with every new project? If not, you could copy an empty termbase manually (or macro-wise, e.g. with AutoHotkey) to a dedicated folder (as specified in the project template), while over... See more
As far as I know, Studio 2021 doesn't provide a dedicated Lexicon in the way Déjà Vu does. However, you can set up a dedicated termbase for every new project. I didn't check this but I think that it's possible to assign an existing, empty termbase to a project template. Perhaps it lets you even create a new one with every new project? If not, you could copy an empty termbase manually (or macro-wise, e.g. with AutoHotkey) to a dedicated folder (as specified in the project template), while overwriting or renaming any existing one. I don't know how to give this 'project termbase' the highest priority.

Anyway, the adding of term pairs to a termbase has been improved in Studio 2021.
Collapse

Jonathan Holland

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:16
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Once set up, does a project-specific termbase not suffice? Jan 14, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:
If not, you could copy an empty termbase manually (or macro-wise, e.g. with AutoHotkey) to a dedicated folder (as specified in the project template), while overwriting or renaming any existing one. I don't know how to give this 'project termbase' the highest priority.

Such a "lexicon" is not brought into existence by default unless, as Hans surmises, this can be done via a template.

What I do is just duplicate an existing termbase without copying any of the content by going to Project Settings -> Termbases -> Create -> New File-based -> Next -> Use an existing termbase as a template. Ensure that "Copy catalog objects to the new termbase" is not checked. After that, follow the wizard prompts.

Adding terms is as simple as selecting the term in source and target and hitting the hotkey for "Quick Add New Term", which you can find in File -> Options -> Keyboard Shortcuts. It could be quicker, but it works fine.

Dan

Jonathan Holland

Jonathan Holland
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 14, 2021

Thanks Hans, Wolfgang and Dan.

Dan and Hans I've made a note of what you've said for future reference.

It seems like a workaround that not everyone would think of using, so I wonder how most people using Trados create their project lexicons, which is an essential part of the job as far as I'm concerned, especially with a long text. And the lexicon needs to take priority over your general terminology database, otherwise there is little point to it, and this doesn't seem
... See more
Thanks Hans, Wolfgang and Dan.

Dan and Hans I've made a note of what you've said for future reference.

It seems like a workaround that not everyone would think of using, so I wonder how most people using Trados create their project lexicons, which is an essential part of the job as far as I'm concerned, especially with a long text. And the lexicon needs to take priority over your general terminology database, otherwise there is little point to it, and this doesn't seem to happen with the workaround from what I understand.

Also the "assemble" feature in DV is excellent, I wouldn't want to be without that.

Thanks again.
Jon
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:16
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Topmost first Jan 14, 2021

Jonathan Holland wrote:
And the lexicon needs to take priority over your general terminology database, otherwise there is little point to it, and this doesn't seem to happen with the workaround from what I understand.

Priority is given to the termbase at the top of the list, so additions will automatically go to that, and suggestions from that termbase will be prioritised.

Dan

Hans Lenting
Stepan Konev

Jonathan Holland
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 14, 2021

So you can set it up so the project termbase has priority, OK. Thanks Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lexicon in Trados Studio?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »