Is it possible to hide tags from Trados?
Thread poster: Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Russian Federation
Aug 10, 2018

Hello!

We are working quite a lot with Excel files that contain dozens of phrases like ['-font color="#FFCAB3"-2+ partner alive at HP>50%, defeat -/font--font color="#00db43"--u--a href="event:0"-Jura-/a--/u--/font-']. As for the moment Trados counts every single word as a new one, which adds a lot of unnecessary work. Now, my colleague who is a MemoQ user told me that it's totally possible to lock certain part of the segments (somewhat manually, but still) in order to translate on
... See more
Hello!

We are working quite a lot with Excel files that contain dozens of phrases like ['-font color="#FFCAB3"-2+ partner alive at HP>50%, defeat -/font--font color="#00db43"--u--a href="event:0"-Jura-/a--/u--/font-']. As for the moment Trados counts every single word as a new one, which adds a lot of unnecessary work. Now, my colleague who is a MemoQ user told me that it's totally possible to lock certain part of the segments (somewhat manually, but still) in order to translate only essential text.

So I was wondering whether it is possible to do the same in Trados (my version is 2015, just fyi), so that 21 words become 6. It's totally neglectable with small files. But now I have a file that has 77 200 words, while as my colleague managed to "cut" almost 11 000 "words" with his CAT tool.

[Edited at 2018-08-10 13:05 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:40
English to Russian
Just switch to any other tool Aug 10, 2018

With mQ you can do that easily since 2013 or even earlier... Can't recall exactly, maybe even since 2011.
Many loyal users still believe their suggested ideas will be heard one day. 2019 failed in meeting their expectations. But those naive people keep on suggesting and suggesting again... for what?
For 2021? For 2025? For 2052? Loads of laughter.

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 13:40
German to English
+ ...
Excel embedded content Aug 11, 2018

Look at
Project settings -> Excel -> Embedded content

Tags can be defined as regexes (similar to memoQ); it should be quite strightforward (unfortunately, I do not have any appropriate file to give a example).

[Edited at 2018-08-12 03:47 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Complicated Aug 11, 2018

Don Alejandro wrote:

So I was wondering whether it is possible to do the same in Trados (my version is 2015, just fyi), so that 21 words become 6.

Have a look at http://jessegood.github.io/translation/cleanuptool.html

It won't be easy, though.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
English
Yes it's possible... Aug 11, 2018

Don Alejandro wrote:

Hello!

We are working quite a lot with Excel files that contain dozens of phrases like ['-font color="#FFCAB3"-2+ partner alive at HP>50%, defeat -/font--font color="#00db43"--u--a href="event:0"-Jura-/a--/u--/font-']. As for the moment Trados counts every single word as a new one, which adds a lot of unnecessary work. Now, my colleague who is a MemoQ user told me that it's totally possible to lock certain part of the segments (somewhat manually, but still) in order to translate only essential text.

No need for other tools and it's probably no harder than in memoQ as you still need to create the expressions to find the appropriate content and tag it. Perhaps read this article written in 2013:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/08/21/embedded_content_excel/

You could use Jesses tool, but this would be quite a lengthy process I think. You could also use projectAnonymizer which behaves in a similar way to regex tagger in memoQ:
https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/projectanonymizer/895/

It's worth asking your questions in the SDL Community ( http://xl8.one ) as well as in ProZ. It is free, it's linked from Studio in the Help ribbon, and you will always get advice based on the capabilities of the product you have purchased.

Regards
Paul
http://xl8.one

Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Russian Federation
TOPIC STARTER
Superb Aug 14, 2018

SDL Community wrote:

No need for other tools and it's probably no harder than in memoQ as you still need to create the expressions to find the appropriate content and tag it. Perhaps read this article written in 2013:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/08/21/embedded_content_excel/

Thank you very much for the link! It worked perfectly.

In case someone will be looking for the same solution, it was actually pretty easy (my software is not in English, so some names may differ):

1. Open Trados Settings (or Project Settings if it has been already created and you don't want to create a new one just for that).
2. File types -> Microsoft Excel 2007-2013 -> Embedded content -> Tick to enable embedded content processing -> Document structure information window -> Click Add and choose Cell -> Tag definition rules -> Click Add, choose Tag Pair, and insert the following:

Start tag: -[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^]*- (replace -...- with < and > correspondingly)
End tag: -/[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^]*- (replace -...- with < and > correspondingly)

Choose Translate -> Translatable at the bottom of this window, otherwise everything between the tags will be locked as well.

Than simply reprocess the files and text tags will be converted into Trados tags which are much easier to manage than words. This saved me about 10 000 words worth of time.

Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to hide tags from Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »