Is SDL Trados Freelance 2011 still useful in 2018?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 07:53
English to French
Aug 9, 2018

Hi,

I have a single licence of SDL Trados Freelance 2011. Is this 2011 version of Trados still useful and operational in 2018?

I wish I had 2 licences, because I would like to translate on my PC laptop and standard desktop simultaneously.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:53
English to Russian
You can't even imagine how useful it is. Aug 10, 2018

It is still the same in terms of functionality, but much more efficient in terms of minimum OS requirements.

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 14:53
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Not very Aug 12, 2018

On paper you should still be able to use the 2011 version nowadays, but I wouldn't recommend it. A lot of bugs have been fixed since, including some that could prevent you from completing your projects.

I'm not sure what your upgrade options you will have from Studio 2011, but anything would be a massive improvement. Studio 2014 was the last upgrade that really brought a significant step forward in terms of performances, stability and features. It would still be OK now.

... See more
On paper you should still be able to use the 2011 version nowadays, but I wouldn't recommend it. A lot of bugs have been fixed since, including some that could prevent you from completing your projects.

I'm not sure what your upgrade options you will have from Studio 2011, but anything would be a massive improvement. Studio 2014 was the last upgrade that really brought a significant step forward in terms of performances, stability and features. It would still be OK now.

The progress has been slower after. 2015 & 2017 added small things I didn't find particularly useful, and 2019's main selling point seems to be the tutorial videos they added, which is telling of how little useful it is for experienced users, at least as things stand.

So my advice would be to upgrade, but you don't need to rush and get the latest version at any cost.

[Edited at 2018-08-12 13:29 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, why not. Aug 12, 2018

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:
I have a single licence of SDL Trados Freelance 2011. Is this 2011 version of Trados still useful and operational in 2018?

It's difficult to tell what extra features might have appeared in later versions that you may find useful, but here is a list of some such changes:

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/10/10/studio-features-by-version/

I've had a look at the listed changes, and the only issue that I can see is that version 2011 may not be able to handle Word 2016 files. I suspect this won't matter if a client sends you SDLXLIFF files, except that you may not be able to generate target Word files separately, if the client requests it.

What you should do, is tell clients that you have Trados 2011.

Personally, I upgraded from version 2009 to 2011 in 2013 because of the "external review" feature, and from version 2011 to 2015 in 2015 because of the advanced filtering feature. None of the other "new" features listed were of interest to me. I have now upgraded to version 2019, simply because "2015" started to sound a bit outdated and there was a special offer, but there are no new features in version 2019 that interest me.

I wish I had 2 licences, because I would like to translate on my PC laptop and standard desktop simultaneously.

Yes, it's odd that the Trados company even has a single-computer version. No translator should buy the non-Plus version.

Anthony Teixeira wrote:
A lot of bugs have been fixed since...

Do you know of an actual list of bugs that were fixed?

[Edited at 2018-08-12 20:22 GMT]

Ricardo Suin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is SDL Trados Freelance 2011 still useful in 2018?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »