Pre-translate using RegEx like with Memoq
Thread poster: johnsmith123
johnsmith123
johnsmith123
United Kingdom
Apr 25, 2018

Hi guys,

In memoQ at the moment we use pre-translate rules in RegEx. We have a few templates set up so that depending on what matches the source text is copied directly over to the target text and then that segment is locked or a translation is done and stored in the target text and then that segment is locked. It's only for simple stuff, but it does save time overall and it's worked out great so far.

I was wondering if the same can be done with Studio 2017? I would be
... See more
Hi guys,

In memoQ at the moment we use pre-translate rules in RegEx. We have a few templates set up so that depending on what matches the source text is copied directly over to the target text and then that segment is locked or a translation is done and stored in the target text and then that segment is locked. It's only for simple stuff, but it does save time overall and it's worked out great so far.

I was wondering if the same can be done with Studio 2017? I would be nice to apply RegEx rules at project creation stage, fill in the translated segment and lock it. If not at project creation stage, is there a way to do this after the project is created? I realise I can use Find and Replace with RegEx, but there's a lot more hassle in doing this.

Thanks
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:41
Member (2005)
French to English
Regex needs proper documentation in Studio Apr 25, 2018

If I knew which dialect of Regex Studio used, and had clear. simple instructions for the functions I need, Iwould get far more mileage out this capability. SDL currently confines itself to referring the user to a somewhat abstruse third-party website.

I wonder if others feel similarly hamstrung?

Regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - translator 41189).

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Regexes in SDL Apr 25, 2018

SDL regexes are based on the .NET flavour

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Importing a tagged file Apr 26, 2018

It is somewhat hidden.
Project settings > File types > Text > Inline Tags > Add Rule

The added rule is a regex.

johnsmith123
johnsmith123
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, what about docx? Apr 30, 2018

asr2 wrote:

It is somewhat hidden.
Project settings > File types > Text > Inline Tags > Add Rule

The added rule is a regex.

Thank you very much for this. However that would only apply to .txt, it wouldn't allow for files such as .docx. I don't suppose that's hiding away somewhere is it?

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Tagging text May 2, 2018

One indirect way of tagging items in Word is to assign such items a Word style which can be excluded from translation (=tag).

Project settings -> File types -> Word -> Styles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translate using RegEx like with Memoq

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »